I have a pound of Summit Hops. What to do…

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Schwind said:
Brewed this on Sat, second all-grain beer, and its bubbling away in the fermenter right now. Hit all my numbers(71%),the color is awesome, and it smells badass. I basiclly halved BM's recipe and made a 5 gallon batch. It is a little stronger than BM's original recipe, because it uses smaller than half batch size. It should be good beer none the less. Thanks again Beirmuncher.

Mike

edit: 71% efficiency is good for me. Last time it was 67%
I kegged this on Sunday and sampled a bit last night (35 hours at 30PSI, no shake).

Summit hops has a huge flavor. I dry hopped the batch with 1 ounce of Summit and tossed in 1 ounce of Willamette as well (per five gallons) for 7 days.

The citrus flavor is much sweeter than the normal "Sour" citrus you get with cascade/centennial. Less of a grapefruit, and much more like a tangerine flavor/aroma.

All I can describe it is that the flavor move from "C" hops to Summit is like the color move from yellow to orange. Same basic "color pallette" of flavor, but a darker shade. Fuller. Richer. Less snappy.

Granted it needs a couple weeks to mature and clear, but you can definitely taste the difference right away. There is no back of the throat "bite" that I get from early centennial samples.

So far, very tasty. The bitterness flavor is actually lower than I'd thought...but I'd just finished a glass of my Bridgeport Clone so my hops taste buds were probably a bit stunned.

I can certainly see why people don't hesitate to blend Summit hops with Amarillo, Cascade adn Centennial for a more complex hop profile.

This was my first experiance with Safale-05 yeast. Does it ferment really quick(4 days) or was my temp to high? 68*F. I know the nottingham yeast is fast but I know nothing of the Safale. I made a starter and fermentation was rolling in 8-10 hours.

Just tried a sample of the beer. It is great. Not quite done fermenting yet, 1.018, but close. The citrus, tangerine/orangey, flavors immediately hit, followed by a nice mellow pale ale. Summit hops are delicious. The beer isn't bitter at all. It's just good. I rarely say this about a 5 day old beer, but its really good. BM your a genius.

Just kegged the beer after 24 days. It has an awesome color and aroma. After its carbonated and conditioned for a week or so this may be the best pale ale I've had.

Biermuncher, I'm calling my version, basically yours, with a little more grains and no Willamette in the dry hop, Into thin Ale, a play on the Krakauer book, Into thin air, about Everest. Since its all summit hops. No willamette.

Thanks for the awesome recipe.

Schwind said:
Just kegged the beer after 24 days. It has an awesome color and aroma. After its carbonated and conditioned for a week or so this may be the best pale ale I've had.

Biermuncher, I'm calling my version, basically yours, with a little more grains and no Willamette in the dry hop, Into thin Ale, a play on the Krakauer book, Into thin air, about Everest. Since its all summit hops. No willamette.

Thanks for the awesome recipe.
Sounds good. I put my second keg on the upstairs "public" tap, and folks who shy away from the more tart pale ales I do really like this one. Like I said...tons of flavor, but a mellower bite to the beer.

Definitley a do-over beer.

BierMuncher said:
Sounds good. I put my second keg on the upstairs "public" tap, and folks who shy away from the more tart pale ales I do really like this one. Like I said...tons of flavor, but a mellower bite to the beer.

Definitley a do-over beer.

Hey Biermuncher..Im playing around with an IPA myself..Im thinking about 65 to 70 IBU;s most Summit at 60 and 20 and than combo cascade and summit at 5min 0 min and dry hop..leaning towards more cascade at dry hop..but figure it will be tasty either way.

probably .5 cascade and summit at 5 and o and 1 oz cascade and .5 summit at dry hop..

I do not want to hit too much of a sweet not any suggestions? I want the combo but love the snap of cascade and cenntennial..

Jay

Send me 5 oz please! Damnit I was supposed to get a # from Freshops but they freaking messed up my order and now they are out

discgolfin said:
...Im thinking about 65 to 70 IBU;s most Summit at 60 and 20 and than combo cascade and summit at 5min 0 min and dry hop..leaning towards more cascade at dry hop..but figure it will be tasty either way.

probably .5 cascade and summit at 5 and o and 1 oz cascade and .5 summit at dry hop...
I think the blend of cascade would be great. Summit does impart a ton of good aroma into the dry hop. Your ratios look god for late additions and dry hopping.

The keg just kicked. 2 and a half weeks and done. This is the best beer I've beer brewed to date.

Oh yeah, I'm druck and pissed I didn't get the last one.

Schwind said:
The keg just kicked. 2 and a half weeks and done. This is the best beer I've beer brewed to date....
That's great to hear. It's turned into one of my top five beers for sure.

Guess it's time to "officially" post up the recipe.

Summit hops make a great IPA if you just add several additions late in the boil (30 minutes and less) with no bittering hops. Where did you find a pound of summit leafs? I am looking for one right now with no luck!

Latest posts

Back