I have 50ml of yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmusedBystander

Reaction score
I am still learning about making starters...

If I want to make a 1 liter starter and I pitch all 50 ml of cake, have I over pitched?

This is Kolsch Wyeast if it matters...

Not necessarily. With that 50mL of cake, you should have let the yeast (dead, alive) settle out, then decant most of the liquid and leave a little to create a slurry with the remaining yeast. Then add that to your cooled 1L of wort. Adding all that excess liquid isn't helping anything. I would say as little as 5mL of healthy yeast slurry could inoculate a 1L starter. It would just take longer to grow up.

You can't really overpitch with a 1L starter into a 5 gallon batch, unless the starter is unhealthy. Again, just make sure you decant off most of the liquid before you pitch the slurry.

Yeast growth will be limited to the amount of sugars available. So, if you added a very healthy and lively 50mL yeast [cake] slurry to 1L of starter, you might not get much benefit. You could probably have just added that 50mL to your 5 gallon batch.

Thanks for that! I haven't pitched yet. Actually, I had about 10ml separated into 5 jars and I decided to decant all the jars into one. I've never repitched yeast before so I'm just wondering how much 50ml of cake really is. I think I'll make a starter just to make them wake up and shorten the lag time,

Thanks for your help.

Back