I hate running, but this was awesome.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to hate running to, but 6 years ago my wife got me into it (she ran X-country in HS and college). Now I am addicted and absolutely love running, with a 1 1/2 year old kid I can't put in as much time as I would like but I get at least 40 miles in a month.

I run a few races a year, mostly 10k's and a 10 miler. Its really a great way to keep you motivated to run, setting goals, training etc, is much better then mindless miles on the treadmill.

I post decent times in my races, usually avg 7:45/mi in a 10k.

As for the post run beer, here is my local running club.

http://fishtownbeerrunners.com/

I'm sure most of you can get behind something like this.

I fractured my L1 vertebrae in August '11. Running was the hardest thing to get back after 6 months on a deadman profile. I never was great at running anyways. I was able to get back into it by training with a friend for the Army Ten Miler, and making that my goal. The last 9 months I've spent living up around 5,000 ft in really rancid air, which is a real shocker to the body if you're not used too it, but I've started running 1/2 marathons and other shorter runs. I still suck at running, and hate it, but I've found that I can't forgo running a 1/2 when the chance arrises...its addicting now.

When I was living in Germany, a buddy and I used to run up the the Altenburg overlooking Bamberg, have a beer and a glass of water at the little cafe in the castle, then continue on a seven mile loop...a beer was a wonderful little kick in the middle, and a nice rest after quite an awful uphill.

I hate running, even after getting back into it, still hate it. A leftover from USMC days, I do still like to punish my body though. Best advice I could give, invest in great sneaks, replace them when you should. Always go farther than your last run, be it one step, one lap, one mile...around your house who cares, just make it longer. Know the difference between sore/tired and sore/hurt, don't run hurt, do recognize tired as the beginnings of lazy thoughts :) punish yourself for lazy thoughts. On days you don't want to run or are bored or whatever, try fartlek (google is your friend) to mix it up.

I too used to hate running but found myself not having as much time to devote towards the gym. At the time I thought the 45 minute run would use up more calories than the 1.5 hour gym workout, and in less time; win.

At first it was really tough as I used to wrestle in college and still had the upper body build imbalance. After a couple years, 3 miles turned into 5, and 5 turned into a 10k, which then turned into 20k. 20k turned into a marathon, which then turned into a second marathon, and next year will be my third.

In all, my attempt to save time by running instead of working out in the gym turned into more than me or my wife ever bargained for.

I now find myself turning my nose to any run less than an hour in duration. A sort of running snob. I almost live for the opportunity to just listen to my audiobook, lube up the friction prone areas, gear up and run for a couple hours, much to my wife's dismay.

Have fun on your running hobby and hopefully it doesn't turn into the obsession it has for me.

Now I have two hobbies my wife loathes, but oh well, at least I'm not letting myself go... and she likes the beer I make.

If running doesn't work for you, try a bike. It's easier in the back and knees. My club regularly does a rail-trail ride to a brewpub (30 mi. round trip). The beer tastes especially good. Now, if only they'd install showers or even a hot tub.

I fractured my L1 vertebrae in August '11. Running was the hardest thing to get back after 6 months on a deadman profile. I never was great at running anyways. I was able to get back into it by training with a friend for the Army Ten Miler, and making that my goal. The last 9 months I've spent living up around 5,000 ft in really rancid air, which is a real shocker to the body if you're not used too it, but I've started running 1/2 marathons and other shorter runs. I still suck at running, and hate it, but I've found that I can't forgo running a 1/2 when the chance arrises...its addicting now.

When I was living in Germany, a buddy and I used to run up the the Altenburg overlooking Bamberg, have a beer and a glass of water at the little cafe in the castle, then continue on a seven mile loop...a beer was a wonderful little kick in the middle, and a nice rest after quite an awful uphill.

Where do you live at 5000' in TN?

Back