Quantcast

I had a dream

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

the75

Reaction score
In my dream, I had mashed, sparged, & boiled & when I went to whirlpool, I realized I missed ALL my hop additions. So what can I do now? I'm assuming I'll have to add some more water for loss due to evaporation, but what can I expect by way of lost flavor, considering I'll now be doing a 120 minute boil? If I return to my dream over the next few nights, I'd like to be prepared.

cooper

Reaction score
Ferment it out, dry hop it for a week and enjoy. I've messed up too many batches by trying to go back and fix something.

mdgagne

Reaction score
What kind of beer is it? If melenoidin flavors are desirable a 120 minute boil will probably not hurt, just add water (back to your pre-boil volume) and start the 60 minute hop timer... with the hops this time :)

You won't lose flavor with extended boiling - you'll gain it (I think).

OP
T

the75

Reaction score
What kind of beer is it? If melenoidin flavors are desirable a 120 minute boil will probably not hurt, just add water (back to your pre-boil volume) and start the 60 minute hop timer... with the hops this time :)

I'm not sure what kind of beer it is, but since I have only made IPAs IRL, I would assume that's what kind it was. These are all great suggestions.
I'll be brewing again tomorrow IRL, so hopefully my dream doesn't come true.

cooper

Reaction score

That's very true, I like this suggestion best!

frazier

Reaction score
This happened once to - uh - a friend, that's right, a friend of mine. He made a hop tea by boiling them in a smallish amount of water for half an hour or so, then added the tea to the wort.