I Got Beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigNick73

Reaction score
I GOT BEER! I started it Wednesday, before last, when I got my kit (AHS Magic Hat #9 clone) and by Sunday the fermentation looked complete so I took a FG reading (1.010-1.012) and it looked good so racked to secondary to get it off the trug and settle some more, not that it'll ever be clear being mostly wheat. I waited till last Wednesday and took another gravity reading (yeah I'm real patient I know) and it hadn't moved so I bottled. I filled a couple of half pint glass coke bottles so I could taste it as it conditions w/o opening a full bomber. Well I cracked one today (yeah in bottles all of 3 days) and its GOOD! not like amazing good, I can taste some off flavors that I think will settle out over the next few weeks, but its got good color, head, and lightly carbonated, and on par if not better than any BMC I've had so I'm calling it drinkable!

Right on. It'll definately improve in more time, but I fully understand the urge to open one early. I always sample one on the 6-7th day, and one at week two.

Yeah I know it will, but being first batch I don't know if it'll last to see it. We have such wonderful beer laws here in Mississippi that BMC pretty much is your only choice, except when you can find Sam Adams, Abita etc.. that's not stale (and under 5% ABV in accordance with said laws (if it's in a green of clear bottle give up any hopes of it not being skunked). Not to mention that homebrewing is technically illegal here.

That being said I gota get my next batch going so I don't run out. Thinking of doing an irish red next, as I'm not big on over hopped, bitter, or dark beers (not that I don't enjoy one every once in a while).

Cool I'm not set up for all grain so I'll be sticking with extracts and maybe partial mash. Most likely another extract since it'll be my second batch.

Back