I goofed! When can I add more H2O

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerrbrewer

I just wanna brew!
Reaction score
Doing a wine kit at the request of my sig other. I followed the instructions of adding bentonite, syrup & water. I misread and topped off to 5 gallons because it said 5 imp gallons. The fermentation is well under way. Can I add water at a later step after fermentation is done?

so its a 6gal kit and you made it only 5gal? Many will say just leave it be like that(specially if one of the cheaper kits) I personally would do the top off when you rack it for the second ferment.

If you don't put the rest of the water in, the wine might be unbalanced. Or it might not...Is it worth the gamble?

Was it expensive?

Depending of what is considered expensive as far as wine kits go it was $75. Looking back at my notes I realize why I missed this so easily. I pitched the ec1118 and realized I had not taken a gravity. Using my refractometer within 5 min of pitch with a very top sample it was at 1.050. Instructions said 1.050 to 1.060. Unless that syrup sank in 15 minutes after shaking the carboy vigorously, I was already in the low end of gravity expectations. The instructions say to expect .0998 after primary, add more stuff, and 1.015 at bottling. Im not much of a wine fan, but my lady tolerates and helps alot with my homebrew. Id like ths to come out nice if possible. Open to suggestions.

Last edited:
Back