I fixed it but what the HELL happened

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bragona71

Reaction score
I brewed a second batch of Russian river clone and had a couple issues!!

Brewed as normal, pitched a 1500ml starter us 05(harvested) fermented 9 days. moved to keg to dry hop 5 day, put in kegerator and connected co2.here is where it gets weird. the beer backed up the co2 line as soon as I hooked it up, so I let it sit for 2 days to cold crash(no co2). Moved it to a different keg. another weird thing, its carbed and drinkable as soon as I hooked it up(yummy)..

So my question is, what happened? was it not done fermenting?(same gravity reading as first racking) when I racked it to different keg is foamed over when I opened keg lid

How is it carbed already?

I did notice a substantial amount of trub at bottom of original keg could have been a lot of yeasties

here is the recipe, big props to Jukas this beer is amazing

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/russian-river-row-2-hill-56-clone-369668/

your dip tube was probably clogged or maybe your beverage poppet

Just pulled keg apart to clean and looked all clear

Only one plausible explanation here. It was still fermenting. Probably carbed up during your dry hop session in the keg.

this was my thoughts, but this is the first time I have had any problems with any thing so I wanted other opinions. why would gravity be the same? that's the puzzling part

1. If the beer backed up into the co2 line, there is obviously more pressure in the keg than there is in the low side of the regulator. You do not mention the regulator pressure. If the keg is building pressure without priming and at a steady temp, your beer is not finished fermenting.
2. If it is carbed as soon as you hooked it up to co2, then either you used priming surar to carbonate, or it was not finished fermenting. You do not mention whether or not you primed it nor the specific gravity at any of the stages.
Time (# of days) is no indication of fermentation stage. SG is the only true measure.
Considering the fact that you said "yummy", I presume that infection is not the issue.
I had a perfectly carbed sample from a current fermentation today and the SG was still 1.028, and it was "yummy".
Bottom line is that you have a good beer to drink, and you made it yourself!

1. If the beer backed up into the co2 line, there is obviously more pressure in the keg than there is in the low side of the regulator. You do not mention the regulator pressure. If the keg is building pressure without priming and at a steady temp, your beer is not finished fermenting.
2. If it is carbed as soon as you hooked it up to co2, then either you used priming surar to carbonate, or it was not finished fermenting. You do not mention whether or not you primed it nor the specific gravity at any of the stages.
Time (# of days) is no indication of fermentation stage. SG is the only true measure.
Considering the fact that you said "yummy", I presume that infection is not the issue.
I had a perfectly carbed sample from a current fermentation today and the SG was still 1.028, and it was "yummy".
Bottom line is that you have a good beer to drink, and you made it yourself!
I had pressure at 15psi when I hooked it up (still had a different keg up and running)didn't want to disturb it
I do have yummy beer that I brewed and im brewing another batch of the same beer for a party in a few weeks.. I just want confirmation on my assumption of the fermentation not being done(I don't want to do It again).. but still puzzled that the gravity was the same both readings.. 1.018 prior to first racking and 1.018 today when I moved it to a different keg.I did not use any priming sugar..

Did you take the gravity readings at the same temperature? If you took the second reading at a lower temp, the density could change and make it look the same even if it had continued fermenting

Back