I'm trying something new

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
I put my beer into my keg yesterday and stuck in my kegerator. I have dropped the temp to about 35 degrees or so. I am going to leave it like that for a day or two, then hook up my CO2 and carb at 10 to 12psi. I won't be able to drink any beer for a week or two anyway, so I might as well carb it that way this time and see what happens. This will be my first try ad "cold crashing". Usually, I hook up the CO2 at the same time I put the keg in and let it run that way. Am I doing this ok? Or did I screw up yet again. LOL.

As long as you purged the oxygen from the keg, it'll be fine to be not carbonating while crashing. I've done that hundreds of times, sometimes for weeks.

I thought I did. But when I went to put the CO2 on the keg I realized the valve on the In side was loose. I could hear the CO2 going thru the lines, so I hit it with a bit of soap and water and found the bubble. I tightened it up and it is sealed now, but I am hopeful that no air got in. I did a closed transfer and that seemed to go ok. I had a bit of an issue at the end where it seemed the liquid stopped going in, but I don't think any air got into it. I am seriously wondering if kegging is right for me. I just cannot seem to get it right. I might go back to just running a hose in and letting gravity do it's thing, we will see. Either way, it is in the fridge and I am going to give it a week or two and see how it goes. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. RR

There is no reason to not hook up the CO2 immediately, and one good reason to do it that way; Corny kegs are designed to hold pressure, not resist a vacuum...the cold crash will occur either way. Of course, if you pressurize the Corny with 5 psi or so prior to the temp drop, the point is moot.

Cool. Thank you. So, next time, I will hook up the gas line right away but not really start to carb until a few days? I am always trying new stuff to get me to the finish line, if there is one. RR

Hooking up the gas line at serving pressure is the classic "low and slow" technique of carbonation. It'll take about two weeks at serving pressure (9-12 psi depending on your desired temp and carb level).

Back