I finally figured it out....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexlerLepp

Reaction score
After my first two brews I kept noticing a similar aftertaste. It was definitely off. It was hot and sharp and overpowered the other flavors. It did slightly go away with some time, but not fully. After tons of research here and other sites, plus a number of questions and suggestions. I figured out that I was only waiting for my wort to cool to 90 degrees instead of 70 degrees (yes I am a bit of a bonehead) and I have figured out that the off flavors must be fusel alcohols. Thanks for the help and I can't wait to start my next beer having figured out this fairly simple thing.

the formation of fusels is more dependent on your fermentation temperatures, and less with the initial pitching temp. With a pitching temp that hight you might actually be killing some of your yeast, which can lead to off-flavors. Try getting one of those stick on thermometers for the side of your carboy/fermenter bucket to better monitor the fermentation temp. Most ale yeasts like around 68-72

That's not really it sorry. Pitching high isn't going to cause that much of an issue, because the worts not going to stay that hot that long. The yeast aren't even going to be fermenting the beer while it is that hot to begin producing fusel acohols. Pitching high isn't the same as fermenting high. It's only going to be 90 for less than an hour, that's not the same thing as the yeast fermenting for 2-3 days at that temp.

In fact if you have lagtime, your wort won't be at 90 degrees 3 days later when the yeast gets active (at least we hope not, or THAT will produce fusel.)

If you are rehydrating your yeast in warm water the yeast is going to be higher than that temp already anyway.

Some even argue that pitching warm is a good thing, just like some argue pitching cool is....but neither or them will cause what you are describing. Look elsewhere especially fermentation temps if you think you have fuesels....But not necessarily at your pitching temps.

Damn! I was really hoping i had it figured out. I guess it is back to the drawing board.

I had read on another site that high pitching temp could produce fusels. The temp during fermenting usually stayed around 60 to 65 degrees, at least that wad the temp of the room where the fermentor was. Could it be that it fermented even hotter?

Also the flavor is sharp and hot but also a bit earthy (for lack of a better word) and it is strictly an aftertaste.

Thanks for the help setting me straight.

Like Revvy said, while your wort is cooling down in your fermentation area (what's the ambient temperature there, by the way?) the yeast are doing things like consuming oxygen, reproducing, and creating (hopefully) strong sterols -- which basically act like trash bags for compounds produced during the fermentation cycle. They don't really begin to create alcohol until after the lag and growth phases are over. By that time your wort should be cooled to match the room's ambient temperature.

I'm assuming your method for aeration is shaking the bajesus out of the carboy/whatever vessel you use. Warmer liquids won't allow as much air to dissolve as easily when aerating your wort prior to pitching the yeast. Granted, it's probably a negligible difference in solubility between 70 degrees and 90 degrees -- but oxygen is very important in the beginning of your fermentation. The point I'm getting at is that the uptake of the proper amount of oxygen (along with the right nutrients/minerals) is important for the yeast to be able to form a strong army for their upcoming battle. I like the way someone here put it, once: would you rather have 10,000 grandmas fighting on your side or 1,000 highly trained asssassins?

Try to think about your yeast as human beings (I promise it's not as crazy as it sounds). What kinds of things would put you in stress mode? Little oxygen to work. Things being too hot. A dirty environment. No beer in your glass. Anyway, good luck with everything and I know you'll get everything worked out -- just takes some time!

This is a shot in the dark on your aftertaste problem, but definitely minimize your oxygenation post-fermentation. I was bottling directly from the spigot for TWO YEARS! Luckily about 6 months ago I got more serious about my brewing and happened to read Revvy's bottling tips, and picked up a bottling wand that day. Looking back, I still made some decent brews, but would get that cardboard-y taste with a couple months of aging (though you said your aftertaste fades with age).

Not to resurrect this but after brewing and bottling three beers (two of which I have drank with the same odd flavor) I noticed that a post-fermentation pre-bottling taste of all three beers didn't have the taste, it was only after bottling that they had the after taste. I am starting to suspect that it was because I washed about 40+ bottles in the dishwasher with soap before I realized that I shouldn't or (and this is where I am leaning) that I am allowing too much oxygen in when I bottle. I am using a bottling wand, but I just push it down as fast as possible and the beer gets really bubbling. This last batch, I bottled yesterday, I tried to keep the oxygen down to a bare minimum, so we will see what happens. Thanks the for reminder dabeers!

Definitely sounds like your problem lies in your bottling process. I'd say any kind of soap is bad news for bottles, it's just so hard to get it all out. They sell bottle washing nozzles at most lhbs that screw right onto your faucet that make a really strong jet for washing, then a soak in idophor, starsan, or other no-rinse sanitizer and you should be good to go. If you're using a bottling wand I wouldn't worry too much about oxygen, those things are really good at what they do.

Back