I Finally Did It

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkyl428

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A year and a half of buying parts piece by piece, but it's finally done I have a functional kegerator, now if only I had some beer kegged up to go with it, that's the next project...

Question, I am using mfl disconnects for my gas and liquid, however I have not ordered washers to fit inside the swivel nuts. Is it vital to have these?

I have not hooked up a keg yet, but I would like to keg a beer and get it on co2 this weekend, my lhbs sells kegging hardware, but does not seem to sell that particular washer and I don't really want to pay $8 in shipping for a $0.25 washer. If I keg without the washer am I going to end up with a gas leak?

View attachment 1446825898792.jpg

View attachment 1446825916872.jpg

View attachment 1446825926624.jpg

Depends on the type of keg quick disconnects (QD) you have. Some have a built in washer on the thread and some don't. You'll know if they do because there is a piece of plastic attached to the end of the threaded piece of the QD. It should be the same color as the plastic material of the QD. If it doesn't have that piece of plastic, then you need the washer.

That's surprising that your LHBS doesn't carry those washers. Those are pretty standard.

Do you have a close up pic of your QDs? The parts that fit onto the keg posts.

I have those little washers on all of mine. But if you have disconnects that have the grey/black plastic tip, they arent entirely necessary.

Though it is only like $1 for a pack fo 10 of them. Still think youll be fine as long as you screw it on tight though

Depends on the type of keg quick disconnects (QD) you have. Some have a built in washer on the thread and some don't. You'll know if they do because there is a piece of plastic attached to the end of the threaded piece of the QD. It should be the same color as the plastic material of the QD. If it doesn't have that piece of plastic, then you need the washer.

That's surprising that your LHBS doesn't carry those washers. Those are pretty standard.

Do you have a close up pic of your QDs? The parts that fit onto the keg posts.

I do not I am at work so I can't get one right now, however I ordered them from morebeer though they look like the ones on there website I am fairly sure.

9076.jpg

9077.jpg

I have those little washers on all of mine. But if you have disconnects that have the grey/black plastic tip, they arent entirely necessary.

Though it is only like $1 for a pack fo 10 of them. Still think youll be fine as long as you screw it on tight though

Yeah I fully intend to get them eventually, I just don't want to place an order and have to pay shipping if that is all I am getting.

Next month I plan to order a drip tray I would like to wait till then, so I can get free shipping:D

Looks like those QDs have the washer built in so you should be fine. I hand tighten mine as far as I can and then give it a little more with a wrench, just enough to make sure it stays tight. You don't want to overdo it because you might end up cracking the washer.

It goes without saying, but screw the beer and gas lines on and get them tight before you put the QDs on the keg.

Looks like those QDs have the washer built in so you should be fine. I hand tighten mine as far as I can and then give it a little more with a wrench, just enough to make sure it stays tight. You don't want to overdo it because you might end up cracking the washer.

It goes without saying, but screw the beer and gas lines on and get them tight before you put the QDs on the keg.

Awesome!!! Thanks! I am so excited to get this kegging system going, when I started buying things a year and a half ago I had no idea how all of it would fit together and now that I have had to look into buying all of these bits and pieces I am finally starting to understand.... I think...

When you do place your next order be sure to grab some keg lube. Trust me, itll save a lot of headaches...

What about the connections to the regulator? If not barbed, you'll need gaskets there too. Anywhere there is a swivel nut, except for the qd's if they are already built in.

If you're using worm clamps anywhere, throw them away. Almost every leak I've had was because of those pieces of crap. Get step clamps and crimp them on with nippers. They're cheap. If you ever have to remove them, just grab the crimped tab and twist with nippers. Best things ever!

And as already said... keg lube!!!

What about the connections to the regulator? If not barbed, you'll need gaskets there too. Anywhere there is a swivel nut, except for the qd's if they are already built in.

If you're using worm clamps anywhere, throw them away. Almost every leak I've had was because of those pieces of crap. Get step clamps and crimp them on with nippers. They're cheap. If you ever have to remove them, just grab the crimped tab and twist with nippers. Best things ever!

And as already said... keg lube!!!

Thanks for the tips please keep them coming!!

Connections on regulator are barbed, so I should be good there, I am using a lot of worm clamps, i will probably stay with them for the time being, kind of broke after putting this kegerator together, i will keep that in mind though, for when i have some more cash, are you talking about oetiker clamps?

I got the keg lube the other day so I should be good on that too...

OT, but... I like your Mr. Beer sticker proudly displayed on the front!

:)

OT, but... I like your Mr. Beer sticker proudly displayed on the front!

:)

Haha thanks! Never forget where you came from! I have been AG BIAB for over 2 years now, but there was a time when I made some of those stale extract kits from the store, I wouldn't be here if I didn't:mug:

I tell ya mkyl428 - I had my first weekend with a kegorator and I will embrace alcoholism and brew MUCH more. It's not that I drank more but I could have a half of a glass here and there. So awesome!

I tell ya mkyl428 - I had my first weekend with a kegorator and I will embrace alcoholism and brew MUCH more. It's not that I drank more but I could have a half of a glass here and there. So awesome!

I agree I have a keg in there now caring up it's a nice esb I kegged Friday night, I have it just sitting on 20psi right now I pulled half a pint last night just to test :D

Of course it's still pretty flat, but man that was nice! And kegging it only took like 30 min instead of the 3 hours I usually spend bottling hell yeah!!!

Latest posts

Back