I don't want to get "hosed"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBLbrewer

Reaction score
Ok, I have everything I need to finish up my all grain system except for the hoses. I bought a plate chiller, and I need to know if it is absolutely neccessary to get the silicone hoses or are the reinforced pvc hoses good enough. I know they are only rated for 150 degrees, but... :confused:

I'm no plastics expert. I would say go to the home brew store...they will have all the hoses you need.
Watch out for the plate chiller, those things can be a big pain in the a--...use hop socks.

I don't know where you are looking, but I recently got both silicone (375 or 400F) and norprene food (275F - holds up to peristaltic pump use better than silicone) hoses from us plastics at what appeared to be pretty good prices, shipped.

Those are both rated for food contact as well as temperatures above boiling.
YMMV. I don't see much point in playing risky with plastics that will actually contact the wort. Plus, both can be dropped in a pressure cooker to sterilize (yup, I said, and meant, sterilize, in that case, nit-pickers).

I don't know where you are looking, but I recently got both silicone (375 or 400F) and norprene food (275F - holds up to peristaltic pump use better than silicone) hoses from us plastics at what appeared to be pretty good prices, shipped.

Those are both rated for food contact as well as temperatures above boiling.
YMMV. I don't see much point in playing risky with plastics that will actually contact the wort. Plus, both can be dropped in a pressure cooker to sterilize (yup, I said, and meant, sterilize, in that case, nit-pickers).

I'll look into this, but something tells me it's not going to be cheaper then the $0.91 a foot a Lowes for the reinforced pvc.

It will be if the PVC causes a problem that ruins a batch of beer. You're running it 60 degrees above rating and I doubt it's food-contact rated to begin with - but hey, it's your beer.

78 cents/foot plus shipping for 5/16-7/16 (a good size for standard racking canes, etc). $1.10 for 1/2-5/8.

Do you pump boiling wort through yours?
straight out of the BK during the boil to sanitize the pump and CFC. I did a wet run with boiling water the first time to remove the plastic smell. It's food rated and cheap enough I can replace it anytime I think I need to. Make sure you get it from the beginning of a roll, not the end. I have never been able to straighten the tight coil of the end of a roll.

It will be if the PVC causes a problem that ruins a batch of beer. You're running it 60 degrees above rating and I doubt it's food-contact rated to begin with - but hey, it's your beer.

78 cents/foot plus shipping for 5/16-7/16 (a good size for standard racking canes, etc). $1.10 for 1/2-5/8.

It is FDA approved, so i'm not worried about that. As far as the 60 degrees over rating... Well it's not as though it will be under pressure.

I'm no plastics expert. I would say go to the home brew store...they will have all the hoses you need.
Watch out for the plate chiller, those things can be a big pain in the a--...use hop socks.

My HBS is very limited. I do how ever use a nylon paint strainer bag suspended over the kettle to contain my hops.

My HBS is very limited. Plus as much as I like to shop local to support my local economy... it is a pig sty.

I'm gonna interject here at the pig sty reference since you've got your location listed. I don't think that's a fair characterization of Francie's shop. I agree that it's pretty limited and no one could ever get by without finding other sources for supplies, especially equipment. And yeah it's a bit "rustic", but what can one expect from a small shop that probably barely makes ends meet?

But it's nice to have a place (even a rustic one) to grab some yeast or hops or muslin bags or a few pounds of 2-row. I'm happy to have the "pig sty" around.

I tried the reinforced PVC from Lowes for a while, but it gets really soft under boiling temps which causes you to retighten the clamps every brew session. After about 3-4 sessions, you'll have to cut an inch off the ends and reclamp.

It's food grade within the rated temps.. No comment on temps above that though. Use your own judgement. If it's any indication, MOST people who cheap out and use the PVC will upgrade to thermoplastic or silicone tubing eventually. Is it REALLY cheaper then?

AHS and Morebeer both have 1/2" ID silicone tubing for about $2.15 per foot. Buy once.

I used PVC-reinforced with no problems...at least I haven't noticed any. Although I must confess, the hottest water tha passes through it is 180F, I don't transport boiling wort with it.

+1 to Bobby for having to tighten the clamps continuously although I have yet to cut the ends. I like the fact I can see the flow through the tube and it doesn't kink. I know Bobby uses 90* QDs so kinking isn't an issue with his setup. The see through part I like because I direct fire my mash up to sparge temps while voralufing. I don't need to get out of my chair during the process. I enjoy that time with a beer, since its the only time to relax during the brew. All other time is spent in cleanup or prepping.

Point taken. I spoke out of frustration as a guy trying to get my all grain system up and running. I apologize. I also removed the offending reference.

No need to apologize really. I mean, I know exactly what you were saying. It is sort of frustrating having a LHBS that is as limited as the one in our area. I just felt compelled to offer up a small defense for the home team. It's all good. ;)

Did you take Paul's class at the shop? I went back in March. If you haven't done it, I'd suggest checking it out. Really helpful for getting started in all-grain.

As far as telling you what I'm going to do, and looking for an accomplice... I just want to make sure my limited financial resources are put to the best use. I’m sure the cooler I bought for my MLT was not intended for that purpose, but people much smarter than I am saw a purpose for it outside of it’s intended specs. I however believe in spending my money once for quality. So I think that it sounds like my money will be better spent on the silicone hose at over twice the price of the reinforced PVC.

Considering how much you'll eventually spend on equipment, the one time purchase of good tubing is very small.

I see your point. The tubing is really the last thing I need to get to start doing all grain. I guess part of me was hopeing to walk into Lowe's tomorrow and pick up the hose. I guess I'll just bite the bullet, and order the hose from Austin Home Brew Supply when I order the beer kit.

Back