I don't play the lotto, but I hit the jackpot...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaBass512

Reaction score
So I was talking with my neighbor a few weeks ago about beer and brewing, and he tells me his friend used to brew years ago but got out of it. He said they were meeting up for a few rounds later that week and he'd talk to him about it. He comes back the next day with a "shopping list" of equipment this guy is willing to sell:

10 gal. brew pot
70 bottle drying tree w/ vinator
wort chiller
5 lb sanitizer (its old, not sure if I'll use it)
2 dozen PET bottles
3 gal. Corny keg

The price? a whopping $75! Everything has been sitting in his garage for a few years, so some scrubbing is in my future, but needless to say, today was a pretty good day! :D

Anybody else ever get a good deal on some used equipment?

The 3 gal corny keg alone makes the deal worth it. Good score! I've fallen into some deals over the years and a lot of free stuff too. Keep your eyes open and you can get lots of stuff at little or no cost. I got a free 20 lb CO2 cylinder, a gear motor for $5, more than a few 20 lb propane thanks for nothing and a lot of stuff at bargain basement sale prices such as propane burners, not to mention a lot of freezers and fridges for nothing.

My wife found my entire setup for me (without me even asking)....

I got:

6.5 gal ale pail bucket
5 gal glass carboy
carboy carrier
auto siphon with racking cane
tubing
bottle capper, and caps
two 3-piece airlocks
hydrometer
and a floating thermometer

for....................FREE.
free as in free beer free

god bless freecycle.com :D

I got a bead on a miller light keg to convert to a boil kettle on craigslist, $30
and a propane burner, also on craigslist, $25

hopefully they're still for sale

So I was talking with my neighbor a few weeks ago about beer and brewing, and he tells me his friend used to brew years ago but got out of it. He said they were meeting up for a few rounds later that week and he'd talk to him about it. He comes back the next day with a "shopping list" of equipment this guy is willing to sell:

10 gal. brew pot
70 bottle drying tree w/ vinator
wort chiller
5 lb sanitizer (its old, not sure if I'll use it)
2 dozen PET bottles
3 gal. Corny keg

The price? a whopping $75! Everything has been sitting in his garage for a few years, so some scrubbing is in my future, but needless to say, today was a pretty good day! :D

Anybody else ever get a good deal on some used equipment?
If you're not kegging yet, I may interested in taking the 3G corny off your hands. Let me know if you'd be interested in selling and for how much.

I check craigslist everyday for brewing related equiptment but almost never find anything, or if I do, by the time I email it's gone. The Philadelphia area has shockingly little in the way of homebrewers selling their equiptment

Sorry, IP, I plan on getting into it. This will make the transition easier I'm sure.

Sorry, IP, I plan on getting into it. This will make the transition easier I'm sure.

Yes and no. It won't be any easier, but it might be about $25 cheaper. You could get a 5 gallon corney for that much.

3 gallon cornies are going for quite a lot of money. $75 for just that would be a good deal. That was really a nice find!

Yeah, a 3 gallon keg is really not useful for getting into kegging, but if you keep it around for when you're in full swing you'll appreciate it. I wouldn't sell it if I were you. I'd probably also jump you in an alley for it. :)

Yes. If you're looking to get into kegging, you could sell that 3G and get 2-3 5Gallons with the same money. But if you plan on ever wanting a 3G hang on to it cause they're hard to find. I finally found one and bought it to use in a portable kegerator for camping and summer outings. If you decide to sell though, let me know.

I should revisit my attempt to convert old Stainless Fire Extinguishers into kegs. I have one done except for the final clean and pressure test. No reason it shouldn't work unless it leaks. I found 2 more at the scrap yard the other day without valves. I hope I can figure out how to make a valve for them.

Back