I dont know squat about harvesting yeast, but I;ve got a working method!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmarc85

Reaction score
In an attempt to save money, I've been reusing my yeast; I have been pouring off the yeast cake from my primary fermenters into a sanitized jar of water and DME (obviously boiled). I keep this yeast under refrigeration, then I pitch it into a new batch of beer! My method has seemed to work every time; I still brew beers with yeast that I've harvested multiple times.

MY QUESTION: Is this method of harvesting and repitching yeast going to cause me problems down the road? Will my yeast eventually peter-out? Is there something I can do to ensure that my method remains viable and I can continue to save money?

SEND MY YOUR FEEDBACK!!

:drunk:

Your method is commonly used by many homebrewers.
I suggest you read the sticky thread on yeast washing.
The yeast you harvest will continue to change their behavior in a small manner with each generation and hence you will end up with a different beer result down the track. As to how many generations you go before noticing it depends on several factors. I am sure you will get a few different answers here about how many generations maximum you should use.
You can of course harvest from an initial starter made from a fresh pack / vial and that will result in less likelihood of mutation.
Another option is slanting yeast and there is an excellent sticky thread on that subject.

Back