I can't get my Citra beers to taste like Craft beers I had with Citra

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lolcats

Reaction score
Hey,

Every time I use Citra, I get this weird taste, hard to describe. Weird after taste that is not very pleasant.

It only happens with Citra. I've use multiple packs of Citra that are fresh. I use in reasonable dosages.

I've had a ton of Craft Beer with Citra that taste good and don't have this after taste.

Wonder what's going on?

The same thing went on in my latest recipe and it's definitely coming from the Citra.

2 Gallon batch
OG 1.055
IBU 50

75% 2 Row
15% Munich
7.5% Wheat
2.5% Caravienne

0.25 oz Nugget @ 15
0.75 oz Citra @ 7.5
1.00 oz Nugget @ 2
0.25 oz 7Cs @ 2
0.50 oz Nugget @ DH
0.50 oz Citra @ DH
0.50 oz Simcoe @ DH

Have you tried that recipe without citra? Have you tried with only Citra? How do you know it's the Citra causing the flavor? Also, I would use more citra if that's the predominant flavor you're looking for.

I have gotten a bit of onion and garlic notes while brewing with Citra in the past, but not always. I have a feeling it has to do with the specific crop. Other times the Citra beers are amazing.

How long are you letting them bottle/keg condition? I recently brewed an IPA with a lot of Citra/Nelson Sauvin in dry hop...after 2 weeks in the bottle, and refrigerated for 2 days, they all had a very sharp bitterness with a vegetal aftertaste....but after they spent another4 or 5 days in the fridge, they tasted great. I think it was because of all the hop sediment floating around in the beer.

I think the onion/garlic sour after taste is a good description.

I'm 100% sure it's Citra because, my beer w/o Citra are fine. And my All citra IPA was full of it!

Normal conditionning time, the flavor doesn't go away even after 3 months!

Try using a different hop supplier. But I've also heard rumors that one of the recent hop crops of Citra was loaded with that onion/garlic character. I'm guessing the pros with contracts snatched up all the workable stuff, and I wonder if it's possible to get any without it as a homebrewer even through a different supplier.

Thanks for the advice

I usually get mine from Bell's online shop (Hopunion bag). Though I've used a pack from the local HBS and Farmhouse Brewing Supply too. It was similar

Hey,

Every time I use Citra, I get this weird taste, hard to describe. Weird after taste that is not very pleasant.

It only happens with Citra. I've use multiple packs of Citra that are fresh. I use in reasonable dosages.

I've had a ton of Craft Beer with Citra that taste good and don't have this after taste.

Wonder what's going on?

The same thing went on in my latest recipe and it's definitely coming from the Citra.

2 Gallon batch
OG 1.055
IBU 50

75% 2 Row
15% Munich
7.5% Wheat
2.5% Caravienne

0.25 oz Nugget @ 15
0.75 oz Citra @ 7.5
1.00 oz Nugget @ 2
0.25 oz 7Cs @ 2
0.50 oz Nugget @ DH
0.50 oz Citra @ DH
0.50 oz Simcoe @ DH

The weird aftertaste you mention - can you describe it? Are you just getting an odd taste and aroma, or is there a harsh bitterness/dryness that lingers afterwards?

The weird aftertaste you mention - can you describe it? Are you just getting an odd taste and aroma, or is there a harsh bitterness/dryness that lingers afterwards?

I think the onion/garlic sour after taste is a good description.:mug:

Sounds like it might be just the batch of hops then if its simply an oniony taste. If there's a chance the sourness is actually a harsh bitterness instead though, consider mash pH as a potential issue. If you don't adjust your water to get in the right pH range, you can extract tannins from the grains which tend to produce harsh astringent flavors that mask your hop/malt profile. This is quite common with pale beers as they lack roast and crystal malts that help push your pH down into the correct range.

Recent # bag of Citra that I got from Farmhouse Brewing is probably the best bag of Citra I've gotten to date, so there is at least some good Citra out there for homebrewers...

Back