I buy "sellout" beer and I'm THANKFUL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscientist451

Reaction score
I've been super busy lately, so have resorted to buying commercial beer.....
My local beer retailer has a shelf with a variety of beers at discount prices.
Recently found was Lagunitas Sucks (SELLOUT to Heineken) for $1 a bottle;
And several kinds of Goose Island Barrel aged "champagne" bottles for $5 (seen elsewhere for $22 ?) another SELLOUT, (to ABInBev)
They also had 16 oz. Cans of TFG IPA from SELLOUT: Magic Hat, for $1.
Does buying NON-SELLOUT Great Divide Yeti chocolate stout make up for my sins? I grabbed several bottles, my G/F loves that stuff.
Sorry, I'm a cheapskate, when I see a deal I go for it......
I hope everyone can give thanks this week, we are truly blessed when we can get the tremendous variety of great beers even here, (at discount prices) on the edge of civilization.....
:mug:

I want to support breweries that haven’t sold out, but I’m afraid that as a consumer, I want the best beer I can get at the best price.

There’s a little man inside my brain that magically weighs these variables and tells me what beer has the most value based on my current funds. If that beer happens to be a sellout, the little man doesn’t care much, even if I do.

Why are the beers on this magical shelf discounted?
Is it an aged-out thing? Or does the retailer have an issue with "sell-outs" ;)

Cheers!

I won't criticize anyone for buying from a big conglomerate that tries to smash competing microbreweries into the ground. I support capitalism and that's all well and good.

However I'm mainly thankful that I've become and homebrewer and very rarely buy beer for drinking at home :)

Cheers!

I tend to buy local as much as possible, I'm lucky being that in my area of CT you can walk a block and find a micro brewery, however, they are charging serious money at the brewery of all places; I remember brewery tours netting a lot of free or at the very least cheap beer; I guess that's the cost of doing business in Connecticut; but the prices are on par with going to a bar that serves their beer, and those have the added attraction of food that doesn't come from a truck parked in the cold & snowy lot outside.

Sorry I got a bit rambly there; I used to keep up with who had sold out, but I really don't anymore and when I purchase bottled/canned stuff I tend to purchase with my pallet, Long Trail double bag still makes it into my house with some regularity, as does switchback, I'm pretty sure they haven't sold out yet, angry orchard is here too which is Sam Adams/Boston Beer IIRC, beyond that though my wife likes mikes hard lemonade which is Labatt which is AB-InBev, I also used to drink Not your fathers root beer, but it's way more expensive than barq's and costco/kirkland vodka which tastes the same and can be made stronger.

I've been homebrewing for 14 years now, and I spent most of that trying to avoid BMC, I got upset when big beer started buying craft breweries and using it as essentially a high margin beer with a micro label, but through it all, I've always said "drink what you like" and I think that's a good way to be. My relatives don't really care for my beer; half of them drink BL & the other half ML or CL, but they don't hold anything against me, and I don't hold anything against them, we just have different tastes. They do like my wine though, so there is that. My FIL & BIL both like my beer, I taught my BIL how to brew, my FIL is more into drinking it than making it, which I understand.

anyways, to circle back to the point, drink what you like; I can see the appeal of a $5 or $6 six pack with four packs of cans are going for $10-$20 in my area.

At a local store they have a shelf like that. If a beer rep breaks part of a 6 pack or 12 pack they split up the case and sell the unbroken individuals for around .99 each. I always peruse this shelf.

Not your fathers root beer, but it's way more expensive than barq's and costco/kirkland vodka
This isn't to do with the main subject but I've seen "Not Your Father's Root Beer" on the shelves and only knew it had alcohol. Are you saying you buy Barq's (regular root beer) and add vodka to it? If so, about how much do you add to 12oz, for example? Thanks.

This isn't to do with the main subject but I've seen "Not Your Father's Root Beer" on the shelves and only knew it had alcohol. Are you saying you buy Barq's (regular root beer) and add vodka to it? If so, about how much do you add to 12oz, for example? Thanks.

Yeah, I mix them - usually about 6oz root beer to 4oz vodka, which would be 12oz root beer to 8oz vodka - YMMV so start at 6oz of root beer and 3oz vodka and adjust from there with more of whichever you think it needs more of; I typically make my first one at 6oz root beer to 4oz vodka and the next one inevitably gets stronger.

Final Note: it has to be Barq's or failing that, IBC root beer; Mug or your other sweeter style root beer will not work.

I'm a bit torn on the "locavore" thing. On one hand, I try to buy local, if possible. OTOH, that won't stop me from buying major brands if that's what I'm craving. I guess my choice boils down to whatever is best in a particular situation. I like a lot of beers from Sierra Nevada, Goose Island, etc. And I realize that those big, corporate breweries still employ real people, with real families, who are producing excellent beer. Sometimes, a good boycott is appropriate, but for me, boycotting "Big Beer" isn't a hill I want to die on.

It's the same with brew stores. I like to patronize my LHBS, they are good people who deserve my support, and I drop a lot of coin there. But I cannot overlook the fact that I can buy some things much cheaper online. I can't justify paying $2.00-2.50/lb. for base malts and $3.00-plus for specialty grains when I can get those for a fraction of the cost with free shipping from Morebeer. At some point, I have to be a consumerist and go with the best value.

My decision making process, in order, breaks down to:
1 - Have I had it yet?
2 - How much is it?
3 - How likely is it to be significantly different that another beer I've had?
4 - Have I liked other beers by this brewer?

Whether or not they are owned by a conglomerate never enters the equation.

I've been super busy lately, so have resorted to buying commercial beer.....
My local beer retailer has a shelf with a variety of beers at discount prices.
Recently found was Lagunitas Sucks (SELLOUT to Heineken) for $1 a bottle;
And several kinds of Goose Island Barrel aged "champagne" bottles for $5 (seen elsewhere for $22 ?) another SELLOUT, (to ABInBev)
They also had 16 oz. Cans of TFG IPA from SELLOUT: Magic Hat, for $1.
Does buying NON-SELLOUT Great Divide Yeti chocolate stout make up for my sins? I grabbed several bottles, my G/F loves that stuff.
Sorry, I'm a cheapskate, when I see a deal I go for it......
I hope everyone can give thanks this week, we are truly blessed when we can get the tremendous variety of great beers even here, (at discount prices) on the edge of civilization.....
:mug:

Give thanks to the people who aren't buying those "sellout" beers so they could make their way to the discount rack. :ban:

Part of me appreciates the fact that AB is taking an interest in craft beer. Maybe they'll start brewing better beer all around.
(Probably not.)

Back