I brewed my stout now how long..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Until it's ready for bottling...

With an OG of 1.075, I would plan 4-6 (or more) weeks on the yeast... I wouldn't even touch it until 3-4 weeks... At that point simply pull a hydrometer sample, get a SG and taste it... Give it 2-3 more days (or a week) and repeat... OR just give it 6 weeks, test, taste, and decide...

I'd probably go with three weeks or so, or until it's relatively clear (without sediment in a sample) and the FG has been stable for a week or so. Then I'd bottle it.

Alright, just wasn't sure if it would take extended time... What about in the bottles?

It'll probably take about three weeks or so to fully carb up well.

But it's more than that. I have an oatmeal stout with a lower OG than yours, and it's just not very good until it's about 8 weeks old or so. Even then, it's young. The complex roasty flavors need time to meld with the more subtle crystal malt flavors.

I'd try one when the beer is 8 weeks old, and then one a week until it's perfect!

In bottles, plan on at least 3 weeks at 70F for carbonation... At ~3 weeks take one bottle, put it in the fridge to chill for at least 3-4 days before pouring into a glass. Make sure you watch the pour and stop before you get the trub from the bottom into the glass. If you leave it in the fridge longer, it will compact more in the bottom of the bottle, making for easier, clearer pours.

Hey Yooper, that's why I would let it stay in the primary for 4-6 weeks (or more)... I've had better luck letting the brew get really good in bulk, then bottling it up... Plus, you can simply pull a small sample from the primary to taste, where you need to open a bottle once it's actually in bottles...

Just my take on it...

Ask a dozen home brewers what they would do, and you'll get almost as many variations...

Back