I brewed beer with hot rocks so now a new "old" brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmo Peach

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A few years agi while visiting a friends farm, he asked me what I was up to I said that I was collecting wild grapes.
"We have some wild grapes over by the abandoned staionhouse across the tracks" he told me. I have been harvesting them since.
I went to find the wild grapes. They were not wild grapes at all but Concord grapes both white and purple. I got 8 pounds of white grapes and 12 pounds of purple. I canned the juice of the purple grape.

I used the white grape to make the drink from a book Ancient Brews, Patrick E. McGovern
I crushed the grapes and let them sit in a closed pail with an air lock for a couple of days. ( When I returned to the station house to get the grapes this year I found a bee yard there, this is what started me on this brew:>)
I used one pound of light DME and 1 pound of honey
5 spruce tips, 2 dryed yarrow blossom and about 1/2 oz. of hops (1/4 oz at 45 min and the rest at) 5 cardamom seeds crushed.and a a pinch of spanish saffron from my daughter who lives in Spain
I boiled the DME eor 35 min. in the last 10 min. I added 1/4 lb. of buckwheat honey and 3/4 lb. of wild flower honey.
I cooled in a with an ice bath and added it to the must in the pail. I used my brew bag and strained it into a primary fermentor
I used ec 1118 yeast.

I will let you know how it turns out.

boiled the DME
[...]
I used ec 1118 yeast.
EC-1118 is a champagne yeast. It's not likely it can ferment maltose (and definitely not maltotriose), both sugars abundant in DME (or any grain based malt). Due to those leftover, more complex sugars, your brew may remain fairly sweet depending on how much simpler sugars it contained.

Now if your wild grape must contained wild yeasts (or Brett), it may ferment them, given enough time. So yeah, wait and see where it leads.

You could also add some glucoamylase, an enzyme that will break down those larger sugars as well as dextrins. Instead, a few crushed up Beano tablets might work too. ;)

Different brew day by the looks of it, Brewing with Hot Rocks!!
Yeah, with that bit of information, we may have been understanding the title of this thread incorrectly:

I brewed beer with hot rocks so now a new "old" brew.

Along the lines of the (essential) missing comma: "Let's eat grandma!"

fwiw, I've used WLP715 / Red Star Pasteur / Wyeast 4021 champagne yeasts (though never EC 1118) on a few strong ales and barley wines. I'm not recommending this -- some funky flavors that take months to settle down -- but it did not leave major residual sweetness.

Latest posts

Back