I am looking to buy a thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patton191

Reaction score
I am trying to decide what sort of thermometer to use for my boiling on a brew kit I am going to purchase from northernbrewer. I am wondering if a lab thermometer http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/lab-thermometer.jpg

would be a better choice as opposed to a floating thermometer? http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/floating thermometer.jpg

I have heard that lab thermometers are fragile, but that floating thermometers can break or bust or something. I really am looking for a cheap thermometer, but these seem to be the only viable ones I can find. All help is much appreciated.

Patton

either would work fine as long as ur careful with them, i use a metal probe thermometer thats used like in restaurants so i dont have to worry about it breaking but out of those 2 personally id probably get the floating thermo

I should add now that I realize alot of people use digital thermos from food stores such as kroger or even walmart etc., but do these digital probes handle water well? I really am a bit confused by all of this as I never have cooked with a thermo. reading about floating thermos, they sound as if somewhat of a hassle to make sure they are safe all the time.

If you get a probe thermometer that has the wiring exposed you can "wort proof" it with some aquarium hose and small o-rings. Search "wort proofing"

thats pretty much what i use mines a bit smaller but they work well if u get it just make sure you calibrate it before using it

You do have to be careful with glass thermometers, but you don't use them during the boil anyway. You will want to check the temperature of any steeping grains, of course, and check the temperature after the wort is cooled, to ensure it's cool enough. But there isn't any reason to have a thermometer in the brewpot. It isn't necessary and it's easy to break.

I see as I havent had the pleasure of brewing a batch yet I didn't know you don't need to check the temp during the boil. So what in your opinion would be most economical for checking the temp during steeping and cooling? Do you think a lab thermo would work nicely there or would it be too prone to breaking?

Thanks

Patton

I need to decide how to check the temp in my MLT from the outside. Obviously, opening the lid to take a reading tends to let the heat out.

Maybe something like that digital below, I won't have to drill a hole in the cooler that way.

5501.jpg

I need to decide how to check the temp in my MLT from the outside. Obviously, opening the lid to take a reading tends to let the heat out.

Maybe something like that digital below, I won't have to drill a hole in the cooler that way.

5501.jpg
That looks like an awfully nasty interrogation device...

I use a candy thermometer that clips to the side of the pot. I looked for a floating thermometer but they're in short supply around where I live for some reason, and found the candy thermo worked quite well, so I quit looking.

I'm about to get comments here, but I'll fess up. The thermometer that I use is one that came with one of the turkey fryer kits I bought. I had two, because I bought two kits, but one was so inaccurate that I tossed it. The one I use has been compared side to side with a couple of other thermometers and is as accurate as they were. I like this one because it is long enough so that I drilled a hole in the top of my cooler mash tun and it reaches well into there and allows monitoring the temp without opening the lid.
For me the key to a thermometer is that it be cheap enough so I won't cry when it's broken, it's accurate, and it's easy to use.

Back