I am currently fermenting Ovaltine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're gonna get this for sure. And we'll be back with a big 'told ya so!"

To the OP...you are my hero. Want to find out what part of the Hammer you are from and buy you a beer...

I don't care if this is a 'zombie' thread even though it's not too long. I am so glad I got a chance to read this. So entertaining :) How did batch #2 come out, OP? If you're still here? ...Bueller?

Oh...Heeee alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll no. Id rather go cook some eggs about nows.

hahaha Pretty neat experiment. I decided to read every post and it was pretty damned entertaining. I'm not going to try it, but I am like most on here and when I walk through, well, anywhere I'm thinking of how I could use it in a brew.

I actually brewed the "beezleboss" recipe from byo a fees year back. It was a partial mash that used Mt Dew for the extract. It was quite drinkable, but it did NOT age well.

TLDR, but I saw the headline under Newest Threads and I had to come in here and post this:

Last edited by a moderator:
The experiment failed because it smelled and tasted like sulfur. But doesn't that simply indicate that it was contaminated? i.e. I don't see how his experiment proved anything, either way. except that it needed better sanitation. Right?

The Ovaltine experiment wasn't really a success or a failure.
It fermented, but it couldn't really be described as beer. In my opinion, it wasn't about sanitation it was more or less Basic Brewing 101 regarding the choice of ingredients.

The Ovaltine experiment wasn't really a success or a failure.
It fermented, but it couldn't really be described as beer. In my opinion, it wasn't about sanitation it was more or less Basic Brewing 101 regarding the choice of ingredients.

Is it possible to make a beer that tastes like ovaltine, perhaps using some other method?

Of course, a quick google search says that Ovaltine tastes like: "sweet, mildly chocolate-flavored beverage with undertones of cereal."
So if that's what you are shooting for, I'd use lactose, choluca, and whatever grain will give you the cereal undertones that Ovaltine has.

Ovaltine also tastes like vitamins, of which it is fortified. If you aren’t after that, maybe fix on the “carnation chocolate malt” flavor.

There's plenty of nutritional value already present in grain malt.
It makes sense to consider more nutrition can be concentrated in a heavier, low-hopped style of beer but some sort of compromise has to be made when you're trying to meld and preserve the product of two dissimilar drinks. This is where malt extract and a wise amount of allowable lactose WITHOUT MILK comes into play.

To get a chocolate, malt-flavored beer it has to contain low to moderate amounts of bittering hops, chocolate malt, moderately dark caramel malt, and dark processed cocoa low in cocoa butter and oils. Milk and cocoa butter makes a nice chocolate bar but it isn't a good ingredient for flavoring beer.
A simple recipe variation for English brown ale, porter, or stout would've done nicely but some people like re-inventing the milk stout.
https://learn.kegerator.com/sweet-stout/

Is it possible to make a beer that tastes like ovaltine, perhaps using some other method?

yes, definitly! i was making a kool-aid drink for a while!

what you need is to make wheat germ tea, then add that to a sugar/water mix, with some bakers yeast...then when that's done fermenting, you boil it under a condenser, add the resulting liquid to some ovaltine...presto, alcoholic ovaltine! it'll work for coffee too!

There's plenty of nutritional value already present in grain malt.
It makes sense to consider more nutrition can be concentrated in a heavier, low-hopped style of beer but some sort of compromise has to be made when you're trying to meld and preserve the product of two dissimilar drinks. This is where malt extract and a wise amount of allowable lactose WITHOUT MILK comes into play.

To get a chocolate, malt-flavored beer it has to contain low to moderate amounts of bittering hops, chocolate malt, moderately dark caramel malt, and dark processed cocoa low in cocoa butter and oils. Milk and cocoa butter makes a nice chocolate bar but it isn't a good ingredient for flavoring beer.
A simple recipe variation for English brown ale, porter, or stout would've done nicely but some people like re-inventing the milk stout.
https://learn.kegerator.com/sweet-stout/

Sounds good. Which recipe do you recommend?

Well, I found a beverage called Left Hand Milk Stout, which is even available in local stores. I'm guessing it might be close. There's at least one clone recipe for it on the web.

I won't recommend a recipe for this kind of brew as I tend to avoid milk products in my beer.
I'm mildly lactose intolerant so mixing anything with yeast and milk products can be sort of uncomfortable. *~:confused:~*

I know someone who is lactose intolerant, but if she wants to consume a milk based product she just takes an enzyme (pill form) beforehand and then she can have whatever she wants. So, if you were so inclined, I presume you could do the same.

Just came back to this thread after 10 years. I forgot all about my experiment.

Maybe you could summarize what you did and especially what the results were.

Otherwise I'm not really wanting to wade through all the 385 comments to determine what is pertinent and what's not.

Does sound like a fun thing to try when I decided to do some other styles of beer.

I call BS on "forgetting all about it." You've spent ten years perfecting this recipe, and now you're going to blow us all away.... That's my secret wish. I'm down for it either way.

You can find his videos of the process on YouTube (pretty entertaining) but his recommendation at the end of the last one, after tasting, was "Don't do it."
That's sort of what I was expecting. Since I have no desire yet to use Ovaltine, I certainly don't want to waste time watching video's or digging through all the mindless replies here to find the nitty gritty posts that matter.

So a summarization by the OP that sounded more positive might have given me pause to want to take interest in Ovaltine, other than it ain't the same Ovaltine today that I remember from the early 60's.

Back