I am currently fermenting Ovaltine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can rest easy tonight knowing at least SOMEONE drank this stuff lol. Pretty neat to watch unfold tbh lol. I guess what we can all take from this experiment is: "Ya never know until you try."

A solid finale for what it was; I was really expecting it to turn out better, though.

Good job overall! Maybe the sulfur will die off in a few months?

Very interesting... When the zombie apocalypse comes, I know know that I should stick with Malto Goya as a base for Grocery and Produce beers. At times I've been tempted to revisit the G.A.P. experiment...

Is there supposed to be a voiceover on this video? All I can hear is music and loud SFX with a faint murmur in the background but nothing I can make out.

You're only listening to the left channel, I did the same thing, the voiceover is in the right!

I was hoping for a better outcome, but kind of figured "eeeeiiiiiiicccckkkkk" was going to be the verdict.

Nice videos though!!!! Was fun to follow:mug:

I was surprised & dissappointed that it wound up with a sulfery ginger ale flavor. Color was nice though,even if cloudy. Try a few more weeks in the bottle to see how much/if it clears & conditions more. It can't hurt to try at this point. You def deserve an "E" for effort though.

I will let it mellow for a while longer and see what happens.

Stayed tuned for Ovaltine 2.

More Hops. Whirlflock. US-05 Yeast. Chocolate Ovaltine.

I am determined to make something out of this stuff now. I'm sooooo frustrated.

I forget,what was the yeast you used again? Seems like it may've reacted with something to make all that sulfer smell/taste.

Thanks for the entertainment! HBT should send you some swag for the excellent post and keeping us all entertained and coming back for more!!

Thanks man, looking forward to more!

What kind of Ovaltine exactly are you going to try next? I saw "chocolate malt" and "rich chocolate". I went with the chocolate malt, but I didn't compare the ingredients because some weird lady was in my way staring at tea.

I'm glad you showed your facial expression while tasting. I only have access to the internet at work and my computer here doesn't have sound.

Stayed tuned for Ovaltine 2.

More Hops. Whirlflock. US-05 Yeast. Chocolate Ovaltine.

I am determined to make something out of this stuff now. I'm sooooo frustrated.

The Blue "rich chocolate" Ovaltine is mostly sugar, not malt. I wouldn't use it. The "chocolate malt" ovaltine has cocoa over the original, but also its number one ingredient is sugar, not malt. I cannot imagine that using it would turn out any better, sadly. If anything, using the original ovaltine as the base would be best because of the higher malt concentration. *Shrug*

I thought for a minute there we might see some puke or at least hear some heaving. So close!

The Blue "rich chocolate" Ovaltine is mostly sugar, not malt. I wouldn't use it. The "chocolate malt" ovaltine has cocoa over the original, but also its number one ingredient is sugar, not malt. I cannot imagine that using it would turn out any better, sadly. If anything, using the original ovaltine as the base would be best because of the higher malt concentration. *Shrug*

I'll have to check the ingredients.

You're only listening to the left channel, I did the same thing, the voiceover is in the right!

The audio levels between the tracks are uneven. Voice is the top track in this Audacity screenshot. Music and effects on bottom. My guess is they were normalized but the voice track has two loud spikes so everything else gets mixed way down.

Just in case it hasn't been made abundantly clear: we appreciate you sacrificing you taste buds for our entertainment. ::mug::

so glad I finally decided to read this today.. no waiting for results, instant gratification! The wretch at the end says it all.. classic!

Ahh... It was just GREEN give it time to condition! Never dump a batch right?

In my experiment I used 3 canisters of Ovaltine and 1056 yeast and it turned out alright. I also used whirfloc. I'll crack another one in a couple days and post a pic.

Haha. I can't help but be amused by all the brewers who expected this to taste good or wanted to brew it themselves. Don't get me wrong: I love the experimentation and the attention to detail, but Ovaltine beer is all kinds of nasty.

Well done Baron!

Well done Baron! This thread has made me laugh every time I've checked it.
Hats off to inovation. ;-)
Looking forward to... Ahem... Number two!

As per Wiki: The rose hip, or rose haw, is the fruit of the rose plant, that typically is red-to-orange, but ranges from dark purple to black in some species. Rose hips begin to form in spring, and ripen in late summer through autumn.

Back