I am a Wizard, some call me Bill...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WizardBill

Reaction score
Hello! I have the forum on my iPhone, but I joined when I downloaded it on my computer.

I have brewed for about ten years now. Not consistently enough. I am looking to get away from using extracts and roasting my own barley for my own extracts. Not sure how difficult that will be.

Anyway, glad to be here!

I wanted to add a little more about me. I currently do not have a "system". I use a 22 qt ceramic pot on the stove to make the wort. Then I move it to my primary fermenter (glass carboy). After that one ferments, I move to the secondary fermenter. After a second fermentation, I go to the bottling bucket, then to bottles. That is my process. It works. But, I am sure I will find things to do a better job.

My current biggest issue is too many sediments.

If you want to step up cheaply look into Brew In a Bag (BIAB). Pick up a bigger pot like a 8 - 10g pot and a propane burner and your set BIAB should take care of your sediment issue. How are you removing the grains now?

I couldn't resist....:D
wizard.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Ditto on BIAB. It's a great way to move into AG, with minimal investment and hassle. Check out the section here, as there are some great primers on that method, and lots of good discussion.

Welcome to HBT. Good place to be. Many people here like things simple, while many like complex nano-breweries. Don't belittle your method, it's certainly enough to make good beer. Have you thought about using some clarifying fining agent such as irish moss or whirlfloc?

I couldn't resist....:D
wizard.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Ditto on BIAB. It's a great way to move into AG, with minimal investment and hassle. Check out the section here, as there are some great primers on that method, and lots of good discussion.

Funny picture! Looks nothing like me, but I used to teach chemistry, and I often wore a wizard's costume (4x a year or so). One of the parents made me a cape, and other cool things.

Also, what is "move into AG"? Still more also, is there a place that shows all the acronyms?

Welcome to HBT. Good place to be. Many people here like things simple, while many like complex nano-breweries. Don't belittle your method, it's certainly enough to make good beer. Have you thought about using some clarifying fining agent such as irish moss or whirlfloc?

I have read about clarifying finings. But, I was always skeptical about additives changing the taste. I am almost always satisfied with my taste/carbonation/head/alcohol content/color. So, since I have brewed about 15-20 times, and only screwed up the first ever batch, I have been loathe to add something like that.

OK. I will say though, some of that equipment looks pretty awesome/time saving/fun to use. What I currently do works, though.

That's definitely your choice, but when you see the way whirlfloc coagulates the gunk in your boil pot, you'd think there were a wizard in the room ;)

AG is "All Grain". I'm confused... You have grains in the fermenter?

Oh. No, sorry, I guess I misspoke. I use the grain bag during the boil. I used to hold the thing for an hour. I got annoyed doing that, so I bought a physics stand and attach the grain bag to the stand and tea bag it so it is not sitting on the bottom scorching.

But, I do pour through my finer weave grain bag when going to the secondary fermenter.

Funny picture! Looks nothing like me, but I used to teach chemistry, and I often wore a wizard's costume (4x a year or so). One of the parents made me a cape, and other cool things.

Also, what is "move into AG"? Still more also, is there a place that shows all the acronyms?

The pic is an Internet meme that's been around a while.

Sorry about peppering you with acronyms..."AG" is all-grain. HBT has a good glossary.

That makes a little bit more sense. I would try to carefully siphon from your primary to secondary fermenter. That way you can keep the siphon off the trub and yeast cake at the bottom and reduce the sediment going into secondary. Same for secondary to bottling bucket. Minimize moving the vessels around if possible. Add whirlfloc tablet at 15 min left in the boil and you'll see much clearer beer.

When I was doing extract batches, the grains were steeped in the pot at 150-165F for 20 min or so in the mesh bag and removed. Then bring it to a boil and do the extract and hop additions. Adding the extracts at the end of the boil help with clarity and cleaner flavors too. Also using small mesh bags or hops socks for hop additions reduce sediment.

That makes a little bit more sense. I would try to carefully siphon from your primary to secondary fermenter. That way you can keep the siphon off the trub and yeast cake at the bottom and reduce the sediment going into secondary. Same for secondary to bottling bucket. Minimize moving the vessels around if possible. Add whirlfloc tablet at 15 min left in the boil and you'll see much clearer beer.

When I was doing extract batches, the grains were steeped in the pot at 150-165F for 20 min or so in the mesh bag and removed. Then bring it to a boil and do the extract and hop additions. Adding the extracts at the end of the boil help with clarity and cleaner flavors too. Also using small mesh bags or hops socks for hop additions reduce sediment.

I also found this post (snipped because I do not know how to post from another thread to this one): "That white stuff at the bottom of your bottles is called yeast. It is necessary in order for your beer to be carbonated. No you can't really filter it away if you are bottling and want to have "fizz." Learn to pour your beer into a glass, leaving about a quarter of an inch behind."

So, If I am leaving about a quarter inch in the bottom of the bottle, then I have done well. I just thought it should be like stuff from breweries and be all drinkable. I guess if I had 500 gallon batches, I could have that.

Any bottle conditioned beer is going to have some yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottles. Commercial beers that don't are bottled under pressure and filtered.

I was very unsure where to post this question/series of questions/topics/etc, so, I thought I would put it here, because it is sort of like an introduction.

Let me describe the scenario:

First, I am turning my unfinished basement into my own brewery. My brother has come and set up my electricity. I have 2 220's, 4 110's on a separate circuit. So, power is good. I have a sump drain and pump for my water. I have an exhaust pipe leading out at the ceiling, which I will use to vent the fumes from heat outside.

So, I think I am in good shape on getting what I need done. I have cosmetic stuff, but that is irrelevant for what I want to do, especially getting it set up for homebrew. About me, personally, I have been an extract brewer for the past 12 years (or so). I think it is time to move to AG. Here is where my questions start to come in. While checking out all the forums, and other things, I have found the BIAB thread. I found the Partial Mash tutorial (which was very good). I found the extract brew tutorial (phenomenally done).

I was wondering, is there a step by step tutorial for AG brewing? There are things I could not figure out (it might be because I am a bit dim, I can never be sure).

First: A mash tun. This seems like a large (20 gals) cooler with a false bottom and a drain plug at the bottom. Is this so that the grains can be soaked to sprout, and the liquid is then collected out the plug, and the grains are then disposed?

Second: Where are these guides for temperatures of grains? I keep reading about getting temps to 170F, and keeping it hot while... While what?

Third: Time for process? I have read that from beginning to end of an AG brew it can be up to 12 hour days. I have no problem with a 12 hour day. But, does that include sprouting the grain, draining it, collecting the liquid, etc?

Fourth: Since I have been an extract brewer for a time, while I am making this shift, I am not sure how much more counter space I am going to need. I would hate to build this little basement brewery, and leave my self short. How much counter top space will I need? (I have not yet put my sink in. I have the space for it, but I wonder how much countertop I need, because that might influence what sink I am going to buy.) I have two rooms in my basement. One is 8 x 8 feet and the other is 6 x 8. The smaller room has a long workbench on the 8 foot wall, and I am going to store my equipment there when not in use.

Thanks for all the help, and if I have forgotten something, please let me know.

Hi. I'm not an all-grain expert but I think can answer some of your questions.

First of all, what you're doing with your grains is mashing, not sprouting. The sprouting is called malting and it's already happened by the time the grain gets to the LHBS.

Mashing is done at a specific temperature to accomplish specific things in terms of fermentability, flavor, body, and mouthfeel. Typically you will shoot for 150*F to 154*F depending on what style you are brewing. You want to heat your water to "strike temperature" - this is the 170*F you are referring to, but it varies depending on a lot of factors (the temperature of your mash tun, the temperature and amount of grain, etc). What you want to shoot for is that after you heat the strike water and add it to the grain in the mash tun, the whole shebang (the mash) will be at your target mash temperature (150-154ish depending) and stay there for the duration of the mash, typically 60 to 90 minutes (which is why your mash tun is most likely insulated). This is called an single infusion mash. There are other types of mashing you can do, like decoction mashing where you take some liquid out periodically and boil it and add it back to increase the temperature in steps. Stepped mashing (where you start at a certain temperature but increase or decrease the temperature at various intervals) can be used to accomplish very specific goals for the beer, but generally is not necessary with today's malts.

Lower mash temperatures (in the 140s) will get you a more fermentable wort, meaning a drier and thinner finished beer. Higher temperatures (up to 158 max) will get you a less fermentable wort, meaning a sweeter and thicker finished beer. Any higher than 158 and you are essentially starting to denature the enzymes that cause the mash to work, so everything extracted from there on out will be unfermentable and make your finished beer sweet. Some people do a "mash-out" at the end of the mash, where after all the starches have been converted, they raise the temperature up to the 160s or higher to denature the enzymes and extract some unfermentables that would otherwise be left in the grain. I don't know whether this is effective or necessary. Maybe someone will chime in.

After your 60-90 minute mash, you will drain the liquid from the mash tun. This is your first runnings and it is way stronger and less volume than you need. So you do a sparge. This is where you add more hot water (or cold water for some people, I dunno) to the mash tun to rinse all the residual sugar off the grains, and you drain it out to get second runnings. You can either repeatedly fill up the mash tun with sparge water and drain it (batch sparge) or continuously spray water over the top of the grain bed and let it continuously drain (fly or continuous sparge). That requires a bit more equipment but some people think it gets better efficiency (higher OG for amount of grain/water used). Again, I dunno.

Once you have mashed, drained and sparged you are ready to boil, and from there it's basically like extract brewing except you will need to add an extra 30-60 minutes or more to the front end of your boil time to get rid of DMS and get the volume down to where you want it for your batch.

So all told, AG takes maybe 3-4 hours longer than extract depending on your process. I can't really see a brew day being 12 hours long for one batch even with all grain, but maybe for people making huge batches it takes a lot of time to heat water and whatnot. I dunno.

To save time and equipment, some people do Brew-in-a-Bag (BIAB). This uses the boil kettle as the mash tun. You use a lot more mash water and contain the grain in a huge mesh bag. You control the heat either with insulation, by periodically adding hot water, or by periodically turning on the heat to keep the temperature where you want it. When you're done mashing, the wort is already in the kettle so you save time on draining. Typically you don't need to sparge with BIAB - you can just plan your recipe around lower mash efficiency - though many people do a sort of sparge by dunking the grain bag in another vessel of water and then combining that with the original wort, or by pouring water through the grain bag into the kettle as a kind of makeshift fly sparge. Either way, BIAB can save a considerable amount of time, and for that reason a lot of people do it even though they have the resources for traditional AG; some people even build BIAB rigs that are as expensive or more expensive than a traditional AG rig in order to boost their BIAB efficiency.

I have done BIAB and I thought it worked well. I am a cheapo so I've never done traditional all-grain, though I would personally rather do that than BIAB if I had the time and money. It seems like you have a fair amount of funding at your disposal for this project, so the choice is up to you. Personally, I am back to extract now because I simply don't have the time these days for an all-grain brew day.

Palmer's How To Brew (howtobrew.com) has a pretty good step-by-step for all grain. It's rather verbose on some things and glosses over others, but it's a good read for any brewer.

If you get BeerSmith ($20) you can construct a recipe and enter your equipment profiles. It will tell you what mash schedule you should use for a particular style, how much water, what temperatures, etc and pretty much plan out your whole brew day for you. For $20 I think it is an indispensable brewing tool.

This is great:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/All-grain_brewing

Obviously there's Palmer:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/index.html

Mash Tun:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Converting_a_cooler_to_a_mash_tun

Note on the Mash Tun page: If you go with a 5 gallon coleman instead of the 10 on the instructions, the parts will not suffice, you need to do a bit extra but it's not hard to do.

If you're building a real brewery you could also go a little more professional and use metal instead of a plastic cooler. Find an old keg or whatever that you can add a false bottom to and convert it. Grab a belt heater or to and strap around the container then wrap it in foam (or something along those lines).

Chiller:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/entries/diy-cost-effective-immersion-wort-chiller.html

NOTE: Get this -> http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-Tube-Bending-Spring-Set-T073/100158906#.Uicywj-43K0

(if you're in Canada you can get them individually rather than in a set but I couldn't find the individual ones online). It's VERY easy to kink the copper tube.

Fermentation Chiller:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/smaller-son-fermentation-chiller-79556/

Notes about all this stuff:

You can build this stuff exactly as the instructions say or McGuyver it all a bit. Remember that everything after the boil needs to be sanitized but not necessarily before. It does need to be clean, though, so take that into consideration when building things that won't move.

Man I'd love to be able to build a little brewery. I have a little closet under the stairs...

Matt M

Thanks Matt. I need this kind of information if I am going to do this right. So far, I am a long way from completion. I got 2 220's wired in. I got 4 110's. I got my drains connected. I have this basement cleaned (finally). It is a complete unfinished basement. I am going to be putting in shelves, and anything I need. There is no use to these two rooms except holding a water heater and a furnace. There is also a 12 foot long wooden work bench, but it is very old, and I am thinking about breaking it up and removing it. There is an old sink, but it has to be taken out and a good one put in.

I am going to add cabinets, a stainless steel sink, and anything else I might need. I will be posting pictures when I can. I have already started with the before shots.

I am also setting up a small area down there with a bookshelf and my brewing PC. Let me know if I am forgetting anything important. Oh, and I am going to add a dishwasher. BUT, funds are not limitless, so it is a work-in-progress.

"There are some who call me....Tim?" Great movie!

*Edit-seems kind of a silly post after all of the great info posted on this thread lol

Welcome to HBT

Back