I am a rookie in the world of brewed beverages. Any recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
FTFY

No one's gonna buy the cow when you're giving away the milk for free ;)

I was never good at headlines. The one time I put some thought into one I was accused of writing clickbait... the story was an analysis of case studies about choice overload and how it may apply to tap lists. So you know, super clickbaity ****.

as a guy who waited until 2 weeks before he had to leave the country to renew his passport, you're gonna have to bear with me for a lil on the avatar ;)
200.gif

And Ayn Rand was wrong.

blue_bleeder

aha to put this to bed, as it's come up here before, I treat m'lady Ayn Rand as more of a cartoonishly evil comedian dedicated to dry humor who writes satire novels on the side, rather than a political thinker of the most morally bankrupt variety. I was talking political theories with a friend of a friend the other day who said they thought "Atlas Shrugged" was beautifully written and philosophical :D:D

www.lambic.info averages approximately 7 views a day. Happy to share some insight.

You need better content like "A Traditional Lambic Brewer Loses It And Restores My Faith In Humanity" and "Top 10 Ways Lambic Lovers Store Their Bottles. First You'll Be Shocked, Then You'll Be Inspired."

You need better content like "A Traditional Lambic Brewer Loses It And Restores My Faith In Humanity" and "Top 10 Ways Lambic Lovers Store Their Bottles. First You'll Be Shocked, Then You'll Be Inspired."

Pronounce gueuze with this one weird trick!

The Top 23 Dog Breeds to Drink Faro With in 2017

So I checked out the blog this morning while taking a loud, nasty dump at work. The old school Pittsburgh Pirates-esque color scheme is off-putting and makes me not want to read it for lengthly periods of time. The choice of topic matter is derivative and disorganized, and makes the mistake of using too many superlatives too early on. Not every beer can or should be a 5/5, not is every brewery amazing. Perhaps try several beers and visit several breweries first to calibrate your thoughts a bit better. The layout could use significant improvement, including but not limited to the formatting of objects on the page and the inconsistent photo sizes.

3/10, probably wouldn't bang again but could be convinced otherwise if I hear about some improvements.

Thank you, I appreciate your feedback. I am still getting the hang of using Wordpress. As far as the superlatives, I am relatively easy to please and that is my honest opinion. I am trying more beer but the Belching Beaver Peanut Butter Milk Stout is still my favorite. I am trying to go to more breweries, but I both work full time and go to school full time and because of these commitments I do not have any free days. However, when I do I plan to visit more breweries. Yours is the second opinion I have received about the color so I will look into picking a different layout. Thanks again!

Searched for something to signify how edgy some people were trying to be in this thread, found this instead.

BeerRookie Keep at it. It sucks being the newb at everything. Take your licks, learn more about beer (if you're generally interested in it) and you'll come to realize that at this moment, you really don't know much. The website design could use a bit more polish, but I've designed far worse websites for far more meaningless reasons. So I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Thank you! I am currently working on tweaking it a bit! And thanks again for your words of constructive criticism rather than destructive criticism.

I understand you went yellow because it's a beer color. The yellow you picked is like somebody pounded pilsner all day then ate a mustardy hot dog and threw it all up. Your words are little bits of undigested hot dog in a sea of pilsner and mustard barf.

Hahaha got it! This is a great explanation by the way - love the details. I literally chuckled out loud.

(this is not sarcasm. felt the need to note this.)

Thank you, I appreciate your feedback. I am still getting the hang of using Wordpress. As far as the superlatives, I am relatively easy to please and that is my honest opinion. I am trying more beer but the Belching Beaver Peanut Butter Milk Stout is still my favorite. I am trying to go to more breweries, but I both work full time and go to school full time and because of these commitments I do not have any free days. However, when I do I plan to visit more breweries. Yours is the second opinion I have received about the color so I will look into picking a different layout. Thanks again!

Adjunct milk stouts might not be the best place to start to learn. Maybe identify a few beers that are brewed classically to the style and try those. A short list of styles might include: wheat, pale, ipa, amber, stout, porter, pilsner, bock.

Sierra Nevada might be a good place to start, you can probably tick off most of those and they are all brewed fairly close to the definition of the style.

Adjunct milk stouts might not be the best place to start to learn. Maybe identify a few beers that are brewed classically to the style and try those. A short list of styles might include: wheat, pale, ipa, amber, stout, porter, pilsner, bock.

Sierra Nevada might be a good place to start, you can probably tick off most of those and they are all brewed fairly close to the definition of the style.
This comment is spot on.
You actually have the advantage that many of us have missed out on, starting a blog from the very beginning.
Grab a Sierra Nevada Porter, Great Lakes Edmund Fitz Porter and a Founders Porter. Sit down, bang then all until they bleed. Talk about why the blood of Edmund Fitz tastes better because it was washed away by the spray of Lake Superior.
Seriously tho, quaff those three beers.

What do you mean?

90% of the comments here are a joke. Only half those are at your expense, this one is not.

My best advice is do not try to write a beer expert blog. There's a million of those and you're not an expert and it will suck. Write a "I don't know **** about beer but I'm going to learn and have fun and sometimes I'll do stupid **** and we'll all laugh together" blog. Make it less about beer and more about you and your journey, or some **** like that.

My best advice is do not try to write a beer expert blog. There's a million of those and you're not an expert and it will suck. Write a "I don't know **** about beer but I'm going to learn and have fun and sometimes I'll do stupid **** and we'll all laugh together" blog. Make it less about beer and more about you and your journey, or some **** like that.

This is something that I might follow.

90% of the comments here are a joke. Only half those are at your expense, this one is not.

This. People don't read blogs for ratings and tasting notes. They read them because they like the author and the story.

**** I missed this whole topic today.

I appreciate the unique tone our new guest brings. Then again, I love mayhem caused by violations of internet decorum soooo...

Sweet Amber had a better entrance strategy, though. Following everyone on the site first! Took a great algorithm to pull that one off.

Also, I didn't pay that close of attention: did this get posted on BA and if so how many minutes did it last?

Seems like a catchy title for a post. But, I would need to run it by my professor first to see if I am allowed to veer away from my declared topic.

**** I missed this whole topic today.

I appreciate the unique tone our new guest brings. Then again, I love mayhem caused by violations of internet decorum soooo...

Sweet Amber had a better entrance strategy, though. Following everyone on the site first! Took a great algorithm to pull that one off.

Also, I didn't pay that close of attention: did this get posted on BA and if so how many minutes did it last?

Beer advocate? No, I didn't post there. I only posted to 2 forums and since I got ripped apart here I opted to make this my last forum for now. But, I genuinely appreciate the feedback I am getting from this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back