I am a rookie in the world of brewed beverages. Any recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoyed reading this post, but I do find it a little dramatic and narrow-minded. When an individual posts something, it usually serves a purpose. When I post my link it is to get views - because that is my assignment. Not every person uses social media just to connect with friends. Some use it as a marketing tool which has proven to be useful, especially in today's economy. Furthermore, the intent is not to jam content down your throat - it's to get exposure. It's not as if I forced you to click on my post here and then forced you to click on the link found in my post. You chose to do that. And who are you to judge other people on their reasons for using social media? What are your credentials deeming your opinion to be something that matters?

I'm sorry you feel my posts are mediocre, but I am a student and I am still developing my skill. And for a blog that I started 5 weeks ago I think it's pretty damn good - and so does my professor seeing as I have received A's on every post I have put up. Also, my site is not bright yellow. I chose my template because it is simple and clean. But, you are entitled to your opinion - which by the way, no one really cares about.

1063153.gif

I like this thread. BeerRookie can definitely hang. I think there's hope for her yet, but there is much to learn. Normally I delete spam but we'll consider this an ongoing experiment: Can spam be un-spammed?
Agreed, she did great in replies to the snark. Needs to lose the slight snowflake attitude and embrace the ZF what you think and she is golden.

Fair assumption. It's for a class, I have to get 1000 views which would be the reason for multiple postings on the web. I am not typically one to spam sites. Although, I am genuinely interested in any recommendations anyone can offer.

most nazi's weren't typically mass murderers either, it only takes one.

just sayin Gene

Simmer down. First of all, there's no need for the use of foul language - especially, when you know nothing about me. Second of all, I don't want to buy my my views - I prefer to earn my grades and education. Third of all, I am looking to connect with REAL people with knowledge and experience which is why I decided to come a forum instead of reading article after article about beer and advocates of it. Lastly, I made a mistake, my bad for being human.

Also, I am replying to posts and trying to engage and therefore am not spamming. I've posted one thing (granted, I've posted on multiple sites) and am genuinely interested in the thoughts of others. But, I thank you for your input. And in the future when providing your opinion of what others should or should not do, steer clear of using vile language as it automatically discredits nearly every aspect of your statement.

Mistakes happen, people aren't perfect.
giphy.gif

www.lambic.info averages approximately 7 views a day.

It looks like this time next month I'll have zero work. I'd be keen to help try change your views if that becomes the case. You could turn a lot of your updates/info into traffic with an occasional blog. Let me know.

So I checked out the blog this morning while taking a loud, nasty dump at work. The old school Pittsburgh Pirates-esque color scheme is off-putting and makes me not want to read it for lengthly periods of time. The choice of topic matter is derivative and disorganized, and makes the mistake of using too many superlatives too early on. Not every beer can or should be a 5/5, not is every brewery amazing. Perhaps try several beers and visit several breweries first to calibrate your thoughts a bit better. The layout could use significant improvement, including but not limited to the formatting of objects on the page and the inconsistent photo sizes.

3/10, probably wouldn't bang again but could be convinced otherwise if I hear about some improvements.

So I checked out the blog this morning while taking a loud, nasty dump at work. The old school Pittsburgh Pirates-esque color scheme is off-putting and makes me not want to read it for lengthly periods of time. The choice of topic matter is derivative and disorganized, and makes the mistake of using too many superlatives too early on. Not every beer can or should be a 5/5, not is every brewery amazing. Perhaps try several beers and visit several breweries first to calibrate your thoughts a bit better. The layout could use significant improvement, including but not limited to the formatting of objects on the page and the inconsistent photo sizes.

3/10, probably wouldn't bang again but could be convinced otherwise if I hear about some improvements.

giphy.gif

Searched for something to signify how edgy some people were trying to be in this thread, found this instead.

BeerRookie Keep at it. It sucks being the newb at everything. Take your licks, learn more about beer (if you're generally interested in it) and you'll come to realize that at this moment, you really don't know much. The website design could use a bit more polish, but I've designed far worse websites for far more meaningless reasons. So I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Shitty spam blog about a topic you've studied for zero years...

Enjoy your career at Buzzfeed

I look forward to taking the quiz: Which top 25 ranked Beer Advocatetm craft beer 'whale' are you?

1. Pick your favorite candy bar.
2. Which is your favorite vacation destination.
3. Which queue of human garbage looks most appealing to you?

A: You are Marshmallow Handjee!

I like this thread. BeerRookie can definitely hang. I think there's hope for her yet, but there is much to learn. Normally I delete spam but we'll consider this an ongoing experiment: Can spam be un-spammed?

I disagree. What OP is doing doesn't look like "hanging" to me; it comes off as a special snowflake reacting negatively to the fact that this community didn't shower her blog with praise and fall over itself to help her with her project. I'm not even having a particularly grumpy day, but her every post rubbed me the wrong way.

First, she seemed completely indifferent about the fact that she just joined to use this site's membership for some page views, and taken aback that anyone would object to this. The closest she came to admitting her botched ruse was "I made a mistake, my bad for being human" and "Mistakes happen, people aren't perfect".

Second, I'm sorry, you don't come into an established community and start telling people how to act on your fifth post. Especially when you're some kid working on a homework assignment and a big chunk of said community's membership has kids who have been alive longer than you've been of drinking age. As soon as I saw "in the future when providing your opinion of what others should or should not do, steer clear of using vile language as it automatically discredits nearly every aspect of your statement", some vile language came to mind.

Finally, multiple people have told her that her blog makes their eyes bleed. LukeAleTime went above & beyond with a series of honest, thought-out, genuinely informative posts, and her response was "you are entitled to your opinion - which by the way, no one really cares about." That, to me, indicates a complete lack of interest in actually participating or learning anything - she's here to get her clicks, and it damn well better come with a side of validation.

In summary, Gene, it's a good thing you're running this joint and not me, because I would've deleted that **** with a quickness.

Also, welcome to TalkBeer, OP!

I disagree. What OP is doing doesn't look like "hanging" to me; it comes off as a special snowflake reacting negatively to the fact that this community didn't shower her blog with praise and fall over itself to help her with her project. I'm not even having a particularly grumpy day, but her every post rubbed me the wrong way.

First, she seemed completely indifferent about the fact that she just joined to use this site's membership for some page views, and taken aback that anyone would object to this. The closest she came to admitting her botched ruse was "I made a mistake, my bad for being human" and "Mistakes happen, people aren't perfect".

Second, I'm sorry, you don't come into an established community and start telling people how to act on your fifth post. Especially when you're some kid working on a homework assignment and a big chunk of said community's membership has kids who have been alive longer than you've been of drinking age. As soon as I saw "in the future when providing your opinion of what others should or should not do, steer clear of using vile language as it automatically discredits nearly every aspect of your statement", some vile language came to mind.

Finally, multiple people have told her that her blog makes her eyes bleed. LukeAleTime went above & beyond with a series of honest, thought-out, genuinely informative posts, and her response was "you are entitled to your opinion - which by the way, no one really cares about." That, to me, indicates a complete lack of interest in actually participating or learning anything - she's here to get her clicks, and it damn well better come with a side of validation.

In summary, Gene, it's a good thing you're running this joint and not me, because I would've deleted that **** with a quickness.

Also, welcome to TalkBeer, OP!
giphy.gif

Yeah the rebuttal to the feedback was the nail in the coffin IMO.

Also, what class requires 1000 views on some ******** blog as homework? Sounds like complete ******** to me.

giphy.gif

Yeah the rebuttal to the feedback was the nail in the coffin IMO.

Also, what class requires 1000 views on some ******** blog as homework? Sounds like complete ******** to me.
****ing millennials and all their soft as **** social media cheat coding.

Is no one in a shop class cheating death anymore?

I just don't like calling people's language vile. Just because someone doesn't have the emotional maturity to realize that an entire internet community doesn't exist for their sole purpose doesn't mean that what is said is vile if it offends them. We may be ******** sometimes, but we're genuine ******** who can also be genuinely good.

I still think it's a social experiment though and we're all being watched and judged. (Adjusts tinfoil hat)

We have to make sure to balance all the positive and negative comments exactly to throw off the results.

****ing millennials and all their soft as **** social media cheat coding.

Is no one in a shop class cheating death anymore?
The problem is it sounds like this class is teaching Upworthy-style clickbait, page views-above-all-else ********. The course description probably read, "This Professor Was Asked To Teach A New Media Course...You Won't Believe What Happened Next!"

If these kids were at least learning about maximizing return visitor frequency, increasing meaningful engagement with target audiences, gaining trust from & impacting communities, etc., they could at least go out and get jobs at digital agencies or something (free beer, hot young employees, 3pm happy hours, easy-as-**** work...there are worse places to end up. I totally miss it).

The problem is it sounds like this class is teaching Upworthy-style clickbait, page views-above-all-else ********. The course description probably read, "This Professor Was Asked To Teach A New Media Course...You Won't Believe What Happened Next!"

If these kids were at least learning about maximizing return visitor frequency, increasing meaningful engagement with target audiences, gaining trust from & impacting communities, etc., they could at least go out and get jobs at digital agencies or something (free beer, hot young employees, 3pm happy hours, easy-as-**** work...there are worse places to end up. I totally miss it).
I don't give a **** about any of this new fandangled line of study.
We are in for a world of hurt next few years unless we start getting more young people into the trades. Srs.
So much craft beer = massive shitting = plumbers needed

We up **** creek. Literally.

I don't give a **** about any of this new fandangled line of study.
We are in for a world of hurt next few years unless we start getting more young people into the trades. Srs.
So much craft beer = massive shitting = plumbers needed

We up **** creek. Literally.
I completely agree with you, but this is a separate convo that would be better paired with drinks :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back