I accidentally let my melomel boil. Is it ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrpikor

Reaction score
So I had a batch of mead turn into vinegar in the past and was paranoid about bacteria hanging out on the blackberries I was adding making their way into the brew. I decided to try and pasteurize my blackberries at a low temperature. Essentially I blanched them, but the water got a bit hotter than I wanted and it started to boil for about thirty seconds. As soon as I noticed this I immediately removed it from the heat. I am a novice and wasn't aware heating isn't even necessary, and is actually not recommended (I was sort of stuck in the beer brewing mentality).

So anyways, am I going to run into any problems down the road? Will it still be drinkable? I am hoping the only problem I will have is a minor pectic haze, and I am adding pectic enzyme when I pitch my yeast to remedy this. I also plan on adding some fresh fruit in secondary to make up for any aromatics I may have lost from heating the fruit.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Sounds like it will be fine to me, can you link to the recipe you used?
I'm not following any specific recipe. I brought 5 gallons of spring water to a boil and added 3 lbs of berries and 4 oz elderflowers and attempted to keep it at pasteurization temperatures. It was around 170f for about 30s before it overheated on me. Then I shut off the heat and dissolved 13 lbs. of honey and the recommended amount of yeast nutrient. Now the mixture is cooling and when its around room temperature ill pitch my red star yeast and pectic enzymes.

Sounds to me like your on the right track, fruit in secondary will help with the flavor you are looking for. With Mead no need to heat anything.

3lbs of fruit in a 5 gal batch won't contribute much other than color, expecially in primary.

Back