Hydrometers are fragile...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremybwilson

Reaction score
When hydrometers are fragile they break easily... Don't be a hydrometer breaker like this guy (me)...

...and I have a NB Bavarian Hefeweizen in the primary that is almost ready to bottle.

The Home Brew Gods mock me tonight...

1411657255715_wps_9_23_September_2014_Los_Ang.jpg

It happens.....

Search around HBT an there is a great Broken Hydrometers thread that you should definitely add to.

I recently mocked the brew Gods and gloated proudly that I had never broken one..... Until a week later when I decided to turn around with my hydrometer in my hand (holding the skinny end) and..... You know the rest!

Welcome to the "club"

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

When you replace the hydrometer, buy 2. That way you can still take the reading even though you might have broken the first one. Once I bought the 2 at one time, I haven't broken another to see if I needed the spare but it sure is comforting knowing that I have one to use if the current one breaks.

When you replace the hydrometer, buy 2. That way you can still take the reading even though you might have broken the first one. Once I bought the 2 at one time, I haven't broken another to see if I needed the spare but it sure is comforting knowing that I have one to use if the current one breaks.

I was about to suggest the exact same thing. Next time you're putting in a grain/hop order from an online HBS, throw a hydrometer into the shopping cart, too. They're pretty cheap insurance. I've got a really nifty one sitting in my "spares" box that I've never needed to use yet, but it's comforting to know it's there when the inevitable finally happens.

There's no shame in posting evidence of your broken hydrometer :) I personally have added 2 to the effort. My first was with me for almost 2 years, knocked it and the sample cylinder over on my garage floor while brewing. Yes I'd had a few hombrews. Don't remember what killed my second but it was only with me for 1-2 brews. I find that hydrometer to be evil.

Won't comment on my living third because I don't want to jinx it...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/official-broken-hydrometer-count-148083/

I've had the same hydrometer for 29 yrs, I did break a dairy thermometer once. Went out and bought two, one for a back up. Now that all my thermometers are inline so I have two thermo spares....

Fragile, yes. But never broke one and wasn't about to when I moved this last July. So I carefully wrapped it up and boxed it for the move. Only problem is now I can't remember which box it was in. Still can't find the dang thing. It's gotta be in some unpacked box somewhere in the basement. Argh. (yeah, I did end up buying a new one!)

Latest posts

Back