Hydrometer Reading.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse Vaughan

Reaction score
Hello all. My first batch of home brew was started Saturday. Using the Northern brewer kit, making the block party amber ale. OG was 1.042. After fermenting since Saturday around 2pm, I wanted to test the gravity tonight and just make sure everything looked good. Airlock bubbles had slowed considerably after vigorous action yesterday and honestly... it smells like beer now. Took a reading it came back at 1.010. Just curious if I'm on the right track. I won't bottle until the 27th at the earliest based off a 2 week fermentation. Thanks all.

Your fermentation seems to be on track. Take another SG reading on the 24th. You may find the SG is the same or only dropped another point. Check the clarity of the SG sample. If the SG sample is still cloudy let the beer clear in the primary rather than in the bottle. More clear beer to pour out of the bottle by leaving excess yeast and sediment in the fermentor.

I bottled the same kit last week. Your readings are exactly what I got. I let mine ferment for 16 days in hopes it would clear up. I think you and I are on the right track!

Really appreciate the quick responses. So the cloudiness should clear as we get closer to bottling day and I'll retest next week and share the results. Mike Page, let me know how the bottles turn out and we can compare notes. Cheers guys

Really appreciate the quick responses. So the cloudiness should clear as we get closer to bottling day and I'll retest next week and share the results. Mike Page, let me know how the bottles turn out and we can compare notes. Cheers guys

My bottling day is determined by when the beer clears. The instructions are generic. Just use them for a very basic guide. I usually bottle around day 21 unless something else comes up. A few more days or weeks in the fermentor is okay. Trub layer will just be more compacted.

I've bottled beer on day 7, I've bottled beer on day 63. I prefer somewhere in the middle. 10 to 20 days in the fermenter will usually clear out the beer pretty well.

Back