Hydrometer ides

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beermaker

The NAVY WALRUS
Reaction score
Has anyone ever put a hydrometer into the secondary and watched it drop to the desired gravity? I was thinking of buying 3-4 hydros to stick into the jug with my brew for observation. This way, I will hit my FG and know its time to dump it into the keg. The hydro will sink deeper into the batch as the gavity drops, this way it wont interfere with the air lock.:rockin:

Sounds interesting. I would get the finishing hydrometers for this as they have larger graduations making it easier to see where you are. You'll just have to adjust for ambient temp.

I think that it is a great idea and think that it would work fine. Just as long as nothing sticks to the hydro

I've had to tap the crap out my hydros to get the bubbles off of them. You need some kind of 'bubble proof' coat

My secondary is mostly for clearing up. There is not really any foam left in it. But you could always use a green scrubby pad to clean it off. Removing is no problem. I use the better bottles. Tilt it till it slides out and then catch it. BTW...according to the 155 IQ, I am qualified for MENSA. :drunk:

I'll often leave a hydrometer in the sample and set it next to the fermenter. For whatever reason, the sample almost always ferments out faster, but it is fun to watch it drop.

[The qualification for Mensa is top 2% in an approved test. It was planned as top 1%, but the Brits that founded Mensa made a mistake in their calculations.]

But, there is something to be said about common sense too. I need to re-test, that was a test I took while I was waiting to get into college. Engineers are brilliant people, when it comes to book smarts, but ....I will leave the rest out.

"when it comes to book smarts, but ...."

Sounds like you'd fit in. I saw a Mensan at a restaurant who noticed the S & P were in the wrong shakers, carefully pour the salt onto a napkin, then dump the pepper into the proper shaker and pour the salt into its proper container... except the shakers were identical and she could have just swapped the caps! [I'm coming up on 30 years as a member. If the test is on the list, it doesn't matter how old the results are. Re-test! is a curse word we use when someone, for example, does the S&P thing.]

Beermaker said:
My secondary is mostly for clearing up...

That's why putting a hydrometer in the secondary isn't really going to tell you that much, a couple of points at best. Most if not all the attenuation occurs in the primary.

Back