Hydrometer / Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last night for the first time I used one of those aerators that hook to a pistol drill, slips into the carboy, and spreads open when the drill is on. Seemed to work great. I was wondering what kind of luck others have had with these? Is contamination a problem with this aggressive method?

The other thing was that it created a thick foam all the way to the top of the carboy. Even using a wine thief, the foam was transferred to the glass I use for hydrometer readings. This made it impossible to get a good reading. I left it out over night and by morning it had settled out. Will the reading still be accurate after 10 hours?

anoldur said:
Last night for the first time I used one of those aerators that hook to a pistol drill, slips into the carboy, and spreads open when the drill is on. Seemed to work great. I was wondering what kind of luck others have had with these? Is contamination a problem with this aggressive method?

The other thing was that it created a thick foam all the way to the top of the carboy. Even using a wine thief, the foam was transferred to the glass I use for hydrometer readings. This made it impossible to get a good reading. I left it out over night and by morning it had settled out. Will the reading still be accurate after 10 hours?

We've now used our Mix-Stir for one batch of mead and one batch of beer. We took our hydro reading before aeration though. I'm sure your sample is still pretty close after a few hours. How water could have evaporated out of it?

I'm not too concerned about contamination. Sanitize the Mix-Stir of course.

What I really like is that when pitching dry yeast it lands on the massive foam created, which in my opinion should allow the yeast to rehydrate before it falls down into the wort, saving a step.

I'd love to hear other people's experiences and tips for the Mix-Stir.

When did you pitch your yeast? If you took the sample after pitching the yeast, it could be possible that fermentation has started in your sample, which would make your reading lower than it originally was. Otherwise, like moonpile said, the reading would probably be accurate.

Yeah. I took the reading before I pitched so the one 10 hours later must be OK.

The tool I used to aeratate is actually homemade. I bought a stir spoon from Austin that looked like it would fit into the top of a carboy, but it was too big. With a little sawing, sanding, and a nut and bolt, I came up with this.

DSCF0463.JPG

Back