Hydrogen sulfide or maybe DIsulfide erradication....HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent87

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have an issue with Hydrogen sulfide in a batch of Petite Pearl homemade wine. I grew the grapes myself. Somewhere along the way after primary I noticed the tell tale sulfur smell. I have gone through about every measure I have read about. I have additions of yeast nutrients early on, splash transfers, copper scrubber filtering, and now am on my 3rd treatment of additions of Copper Sulfate 1% solution. NOTHING IS WORKING!!! I contacted my supplier and they told me that the strain of yeast I used was not one with a high occurrence of hydrogen sulfide. My wine is now about its 5th month in the fermenter. I just did a racking today to get the wine off the copper sulfate, and the smell has not gone away. I feel like it has gotten better since I first noticed it, but it is still undrinkable to my taste. I am slightly worried that I have developed Hydrogen Disulfide. I cannot think of any other thing that is still giving me this issue. Can anyone who has run into this before give me some options of what to do now? I have read something about using some type of acid to get rid of the hydrogen disulfide, but I have never found and clear instructions. This is a 3 gallon batch. I would say the smell is like that of burnt rubber..ish. still a very clear smell of the rotten eggs or sulfur smell, but there is a faint smell that I could loosely compare to burnt rubber.

Have you degassed it yet? A lot of that comes out with time/degassing. That’s why this is a exercise in patients.

With a scientific approach, the sulfur-like off aroma can be removed either instantly or within a few days to weeks, depending on which volatile sulfur compounds are present.

I've been working on an article... It's not finished but maybe it can help.
https://***************.com/wiki/Hydrogen_sulfide

The burnt rubber smell indicates that you likely have higher sulfides and/or disulfides, not just hydrogen sulfide. You will probably need ascorbic acid, combined with the copper.

Back