hydrogen sulfide - does it age out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avaserfi

Reaction score
I recently made Yooper's hard lemonade and used Montrachet yeast. After my first taste there was a burnt rubber flavor which I have narrowed down to hydrogen sulfide due to the yeast being stressed (a common reaction of the strain). I bottled today and the flavor was still present as was the odor. I was wondering if anyone knew if this aged out or not? Also, are there any yeast recommendations that won't have such a reaction. I was going to try Pasteur Champagne next.

Maybe if you left it in the secondary for awhile, not so sure now thats it bottled though.

No, it generally doesn't age out if it's really H2S. Splash racking might help it disapate, but once it's bottled I don't know if it'll get better. Maybe it's not really H2S, but just a weird flavor. If so, it'll get better.

Well, according to Jack Keller:

"Rotten-Egg Smell: Hydrogen-sulfide gas manifests itself as the smell of rotten eggs. Pour the must or wine from one container to another for a few minutes to aerate it. Refit the airlock and wait a few hours. If the smell persists, repeat the procedure. If the smell persists after four such procedures, destroy the batch."

You might have a look at his "troubleshooting" page: Winemaking: Wine Problems
Keller's solution to the problem may be as bad as the problem itself due to the risk of oxidation. Good luck, GF.

Back