Hydrogen peroxide as a sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rilo0407

Reaction score
I read that a very dilute solution of hydrogen peroxide may be used as a no rinse sanitizer. Anyone tried this? I would assume that in a no rinse condition that anything in contact with the peroxide must completely dry. If not could the leftover peroxide oxidize the beer? The nearest brew shop to me does not carry star-san and I plan to bottle in the next few days.

My local shop only carries dry sodium metabisulfite which I understand is not the greatest sanitizer. Would a dilute bleach solution work ok if not rinsed. I can get some reagent grade iodine. Could I make iodofor?

the left over peroxide wont oxidize your beer. some people put some directly into their brew to aerate it. the tiny bit that is coating your equipment will be negligible once diluted in 5 gallons of beer.

the left over peroxide wont oxidize your beer. some people put some directly into their brew to aerate it. the tiny bit that is coating your equipment will be negligible once diluted in 5 gallons of beer.

Are you talking food grade hydrogen peroxide or regular cheap store bought. Im not shure if its really the same or what though. I bet alot of people dont know that rainwater during a thunderstorm produces this H202 which is a lifegiving water.If this were collected in a remote(unpolluted area) i wonder how good a beer would taste with this.:mug:

Bleach is not that good of a choice since its really hard to get rid of that bleachy odor and taste especially if you are using a plastic bucket. Sodium metabisulfate works fine even though the FDA no longer classifies it as a sanitizer. However you might want to try to pick up some starsan on the interwebs since it is very very very very easy to use.

Bleach is not that good of a choice since its really hard to get rid of that bleachy odor and taste especially if you are using a plastic bucket. Sodium metabisulfate works fine even though the FDA no longer classifies it as a sanitizer. However you might want to try to pick up some starsan on the interwebs since it is very very very very easy to use.

i have recently just found out that it also breaks down into a yeast nutrient also.

Is this synthetic or is it a real food nutrient.

since star san is phosphate based it is true, but IMHO I think its just something cool to mention that istrue, but in reality negligible.

I have used bleach and VINEGAR mix as a sanitizer once in a pinch, worked fine. Just be sure to read about the proper mix and its perfectly safe. IIRC I used 1 cup of each for 5 gallons of water, but if you do this, confirm the correct ratio/dilution and pour the cleaners into the water seperately.

give this a listen, he talks about the proper way to use bleach as a sanitizer and how to use and store starsan. http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2007

Back