Husked vs De-husked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big supper

Reaction score
Hi,

Been looking at doing a couple of recipes using Carafa. They call for de-husked but all I can find locally is husked. Will there be a huge difference? One recipe is a stout(6-7oz) and the other is the Stone 11th anniv. (there was a thread on it a while back).

I know that the de-husked will be less harsh, but is it a subtle thing or a major difference?

Thanks

There's a difference. Carafa is like Chocolate Malt. Carafa Special is the dehusked version. It adds very little roasted character.

Where is local? If you can't find any local, get some online uncrushed, a pound or so, and keep the extra in a sealed plastic container.

Yeah....I'll have to see. For the stout I am going to stick with the husked I guess. Shipping costs to Canada can be expensive as the majority of on-line places are American. I think I may know somewhere that could get some in for me, it might just take a while.

There is a large difference between the husked and dehusked. As Brewsmith said, the dehusked contributes very little roasty character.

If you have to go with the husked, try using half as much and grinding it up very, very finely in a coffee or spice grinder. You can also try and find a lower lovibond chocolate malt.

TL

There is a large difference between the husked and dehusked. As Brewsmith said, the dehusked contributes very little roasty character.

If you have to go with the husked, try using half as much and grinding it up very, very finely in a coffee or spice grinder. You can also try and find a lower lovibond chocolate malt.

TL

Cool. Thanks. We went with husked for the stout we made yesterday. Worst case is that it turns out a little extra roasty.

I definately will try to get some dehusked for the future. Out of curiosity....what would grinding it up fine do?

Back