Hunahpu's Day is no more

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Came to post this. Instead of people trashing the brewery, they'll be 'boycotting' stores and trying to factor the rising cost of gas into their bottles bc they had to chase a truck across the Everglades to land 1 bottle after visiting 8 stores and signing up for 6 different lists that didnt actually exist. At some point, people will begin incorrectly using the term "price gouging" and then someone will post said definition, followed by a different argument about what it actually means. Srs cant wait.

So glad Mexican Cake is a better beer and I'll be able to walk into my local store and grab a case off the floor instead.

Proprietor's Effect: "I drove all around town all day and waited in all kinds of lines to get a marked-up bottle rabble rabble rabble!"

I don't think saying the "trade value" went up is exactly the right way to put it; a more accurate description would be something like "a lot of people who get single bottles from stores are going to ransom the hell out of them". I don't recall the secondary/trade market being nearly as stupid after last year's Hunah Day as it is right now, so we are already seeing that kind of behavior.

So true, and I think bramsdell said it best.

So glad Mexican Cake is a better beer
13928321523.gif

So glad Mexican Cake is a better beer and I'll be able to walk into my local store and grab a case off the floor instead.

I finally got to try mexi cake at Huna. I thought it was really spicy. Then the friend that let me taste it noted that he hadn't washed his glass and mango magnifico was in it right before. Haha

Nice to meet you, and If you are ever looking for anything from my neck of the woods, don't hesitate to ask for a goandpickitupformebro.

I finally got to try mexi cake at Huna. I thought it was really spicy. Then the friend that let me taste it noted that he hadn't washed his glass and mango magnifico was in it right before. Haha

Nice to meet you, and If you are ever looking for anything from my neck of the woods, don't hesitate to ask for a goandpickitupformebro.

Thanks man, likewise! Also with regards to the Mexican Cake that Westbrook was pouring, apparently it was actually a blend of a mostly Mexican Cake keg, with some Siberian Black Magic Panther and something else. At least that's what I heard.

I opened a bottle of last year's MC in the line for the El Cat beers and thought it was doing very well. Much better than the original batch was with a year of age on it.

Proprietor's Effect: "I drove all around town all day and waited in all kinds of lines to get a marked-up bottle rabble rabble rabble!"

I don't think saying the "trade value" went up is exactly the right way to put it; a more accurate description would be something like "a lot of people who get single bottles from stores are going to ransom the hell out of them". I don't recall the secondary/trade market being nearly as stupid after last year's Hunah Day as it is right now, so we are already seeing that kind of behavior.
Yeah but Prop was Chicago only. If they make more Hunah next year, then spread it across their footprint, the hyping dooshes won't have much leg to stand on.

That's never stopped them before.
Oh true, for sure, but they won't be able to pull crazy **** with a bottle of Huna, and you might be able to buy one off the shelf anyways. It'll be easier for most people to acquire if it's in distro, unless you are trying to hoard.

We can't get this **** right, let's just quit.

Or they could hire the guys from Voodoo as consultants for the weekend to show them how to run a ****ing event the right way. I know Voodoo-CCB is an apples to oranges comparison as far as the breweries themselves go, but the just need to follow the same methodology and scale it for a bigger crowd.

Speaking of which, check out the craigslist supr RAR hunaphu post in the beer talk section and tell me i'm wrong
If you are talking about that other place I really can't do that.

Well won't is more accurate. Consider it a moral stand I am taking for all those too weak to do so themselves.

And quite frankly I'm sure you are right without even having to look. ;)

If you are talking about that other place I really can't do that.

Well won't is more accurate. Consider it a moral stand I am taking for all those too weak to do so themselves.

And quite frankly I'm sure you are right without even having to look. ;)

No he means on here in Beer Talk. Huna bottles for sale on Craigslist, $100/bottle and a Chicago area code for the contact phone number.

Homie-dace should know all about anger at events that have ****ed up management right?

I believe the thread is LOOOONG gone, but...
Didn't they lead masses of people into a city that was shut down for a snow emergency only to cancel the event after the people that traveled the furthest / braved the elements had made it there?

Wasn't it well known ahead of time how horrible it was going to be, but they kept telling the people that were asking in the forums if they should cancel their plane tickets etc. to come anyway?

I *THINK* that was a BA event... someone correct me if I am wrong.

I also called it a few months ago on BA before my retirement ceremony about the wave of the future release party...
Looking into the crystal ball, I see: ...fights at releases

I also have never seen anyone who is assholic enough to cut in line go to the back just because someone said pretty please with a cherry on top.

Article on Creative Loafing already taken down? :rolleyes:
Here it is.

Cigar City Brewing owner Joey Redner felt sick over the Hunahpu’s Day debacle.

“It made me physically ill,’’ said Redner.

Hunahpu’s Day was supposed to be the joyous capstone of Tampa Bay Beer Week and a way for Cigar City Brewing to celebrate its 5th anniversary.

Instead, it turned out out to be the worst day in the short history of Florida’s most highly regarded brewery.

A two-hour wait to get in. Long lines for beers that kicked early. Sardine-can crowds. Another two-hour wait to buy $20 bottles of the beer everyone was there for, Hunahpu’s Imperial Stout. Anyone who bought a $50 ticket was guaranteed up to three bottles, but hundreds left empty-handed when the last of the 16,200 bottles were distributed.

When the door slammed shut, the crowd turned ugly, booing and chanting “Cigar City Sucks, Cigar City Sucks.” Police moved in to calm things down and Redner started taking steps to make amends, beginning with a mea culpa posted on the CCB Facebook page:

We're completely sorry for all issues that happened today. It really sucked. We completely understand how much it sucked and hate how much it sucked. We don't want it to suck ever again. We will do what we can to make it right.

The 3,500 attendance limit that was supposed to bring order to the chaos of last year’s annual release — when some 9,000 people showed up — didn’t work.

Redner said duplicate tickets were the main problem. “We figured out that was happening” pretty quickly, Redner said, because his staff was scanning bar codes on the tickets people had printed out. “We were sure we had a lot of duplicate tickets,” Redner said. “There’s going to be some scamming but how many could there be? It turned out there was a lot.”

So many people caught with duplicate tickets were claiming their tickets were original that eventually Redner’s people stopped scanning and just collected tickets to avoid ugly confrontations and to move things along. But that meant a lot more people were let into the tight confines of the brewery. How many? No one really knows, but Redner said all 6,000 glasses were gone by day’s end. So there were at least that many people.

Redner quickly decided to offer free beer all day Sunday at the brewery’s tasting room — which turned out to be a good move, Redner said, without any ugliness or mob scenes. Then he decided to refund everyone’s money, at a cost of $175,000 to CCB. (The brewery still raked in $324,000 in sales.)

And then he decided never to do Hunahpu’s Day again. Next year the brewery’s most highly coveted beer will simply be released into distribution like all of its other seasonal beers.

“I just don’t want to deal with it,’’ Redner said. And it’s not really necessary any more, since Cigar City has built a national reputation for quality craft beer and doesn't need to rely on the higher profit margins a beer release day brings.

The biggest issue that concerns Redner is the ugliness that emerged during the past couple of years. “We used to say we liked the craft beer scene because it was 99 percent ******* free, but I don’t think you can say that anymore,” he said. “I had never seen the ugliness I’ve seen in the last couple of years.”

Part of it may stem from the scarcity, which led to people selling bottles online for five times or more the face value of the beer. Some people even showed up at the brewery on Sunday trying to sell bottles of Hunahpu’s at prices well above the $20 they paid for it the day before. The brewery staff ran them off.

CCB had never run out of bottles of Hunahpu on Hunahpu’s Day — until this year.

Redner has decided to make another batch of Hunahpu’s to compensate those who left empty handed. It will take a month or more before the batch can be bottled. “We know we’re going to be rewarding a lot of people who participated in the asshold behavior,’’ he said. But it’s the only way he can make up for Saturday’s debacle.

It’s a shame the way things turned out because this fifth batch of Hunahpu’s may have been the best yet — rich, complex, balanced, with a distinct flavor of cinnamon. Head brewer Wayne Wambles said he thought it was the best yet.

This was the first year Cigar City capped attendance and charged a flat fee to get in, allowing participants to sample top-flight beers from around Florida and the country — perhaps the best tap list ever put on by a craft beer festival around Tampa Bay.

One of the longest lines of the day was for Toppling Goliath, a small, highly regarded Iowa brewery making its Florida debut. “I was so honored and awed” at the reaction to the beers, said Toppling Goliath owner Clark Lewey. “We knew we had a lot of fans in Florida but I couldn't believe how many.’’ So many people were in line before they began to pour that Lewey went down the line thanking people. “They were line up an hour early,’’ he said. “That made it worth it to come to Florida.”

Homie-dace should know all about anger at events that have ****ed up management right?

I believe the thread is LOOOONG gone, but...
Didn't they lead masses of people into a city that was shut down for a snow emergency only to cancel the event after the people that traveled the furthest / braved the elements had made it there?

Wasn't it well known ahead of time how horrible it was going to be, but they kept telling the people that were asking in the forums if they should cancel their plane tickets etc. to come anyway?

I *THINK* that was a BA event... someone correct me if I am wrong.

I also called it a few months ago on BA before my retirement ceremony about the wave of the future release party...
Looking into the crystal ball, I see: ...fights at releases

I also have never seen anyone who is assholic enough to cut in line go to the back just because someone said pretty please with a cherry on top.

I got banned last year for this.

With the enormous storm coming in for Friday, they still hadn't said **** on Thursday night. I went to the pre-fest event at Meadhall. They were both there, drinking, etc. I went up to Todd and asked, point blank. This was about 9pm, maybe earlier. He told me flat out that it was postponed.

I think, "Ok, if you've made the decision, why not announce it? The boards are blowing up with people en route asking for updates."

GF and I drink for some time, walk home, and still no announcement. "**** it, I decide," and I blow up the boards. I got flamed and banned, but they didn't make the official announcement on Twitter until 2am-ish, if I remember correctly.

It was also the worst storm of that year and in some time.

I got banned last year for this.

With the enormous storm coming in for Friday, they still hadn't said **** on Thursday night. I went to the pre-fest event at Meadhall. They were both there, drinking, etc. I went up to Todd and asked, point blank. This was about 9pm, maybe earlier. He told me flat out that it was postponed.

I think, "Ok, if you've made the decision, why not announce it? The boards are blowing up with people en route asking for updates."

GF and I drink for some time, walk home, and still no announcement. "**** it, I decide," and I blow up the boards. I got flamed and banned, but they didn't make the official announcement on Twitter until 2am-ish, if I remember correctly.

It was also the worst storm of that year and in some time.

I'm surprised no one sued...

What cracks me up the most is the apologists for CCB blaming shitty people of taking advantage of a situation. As if these kind of people have never existed before. It's like blaming the hurricane when it destroys beach houses instead of the idiots who decided to build million dollar houses on a beach. Taking advantage of a situation is an inherent human trait, the only way you control it is having the proper organization to weed this behavior out...which CCB failed spectacularly at. Anybody blaming these "shitty" people instead of CCB are really living on a different planet.

I guess I'm behind the times, but what's wrong with distributing if you admit you can't run a big event?

At some point, the sheer volume of beer brewed surpasses a brewery's ability to parcel it out on-premises, so why not use a system that's already in place?
Yeah I don't get it either. These events make sense when a brewery is trying to build its brand, but for a place that's already well known all you're doing is asking for trouble unless you spend spend spend to make sure everything runs smoothly.

Yeah I don't get it either. These events make sense when a brewery is trying to build its brand, but for a place that's already well known all you're doing is asking for trouble unless you spend spend spend to make sure everything runs smoothly.

i think they could afford it...

he decided to refund everyone’s money, at a cost of $175,000 to CCB. (The brewery still raked in $324,000 in sales.)

I am surprised more breweries don't do releases like Allagash. Just ****ing put it on the shelves and tell people on social media it's there, along with the bottle limit per person.

And IF they decide to do an event, they a) define bottle limit beforehand b) have you line up outside the brewery and c) check ID and provide a numbered ticket when you go in. Hang out a bit, play some games/get some samples, then they start the sales by calling out blocks of 10 people at a time. No bitching, no faking tickets (seriously Florida, WTF?), no long lines inside to get samples. And they give you free coffee and donuts!

Latest posts

Back