Humidity vs. temperature for grain storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcleanmj

Reaction score
I recently moved and my LHBS only sells grains by the kilogram, so I'm forced to store lots of leftovers. I'm in an apartment and have two options for storage: my bedroom closet is 75-80 degrees with ~50% relative humidity; my garage storage closet is 64 degrees with ~80% relative humidity. So I am wondering which is the lesser evil, the high heat or high humidity?

Thanks!

I keep my leftover grain in an outdoor shed in airtight containers. Temperature can swing from 90+F to 10F in the course of a year. I realize that's not ideal but I've used grain a few years old stored that way without a problem.

So humidity is definitely the biggest factor. Get some airtight containers.

I keep my leftover grain in an outdoor shed in airtight containers. Temperature can swing from 90+F to 10F in the course of a year. I realize that's not ideal but I've used grain a few years old stored that way without a problem.

So humidity is definitely the biggest factor. Get some airtight containers.

i've set up in my basement a table and ferm chamber.
i'd love to move my grain down there but it's an old stone and humid in warm months.
I do keep my grain in vittle vaults in the dining room.

I never thought about the moisture protection the vaults provide.
just easy stackable storage.

I probably could move them down there and be ok.

Latest posts

Back