Humidity issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archthered

Reaction score
I use a couple of old chest freezers as fermentation chambers which are kept out in an unattached garage. I use a thing of Damp Rid to keep the humidity in check. However this is not always enough and I was wondering what others use to deal with the humidity. Sometimes during this time of year all the inside walls and even the top are wet and can even "rain" inside when I open the lid. I am fairly certain this is because of the massive temperature difference between inside and outside the fermentation chamber (outside it can be like 20F and inside I have an ale going at 65F). I am thinking of trying to ensure a better seal (right now the cords just run on top of the gasket and there is a little bit of a gap) but I'm not sure that will be enough. My wife suggested getting some odorless and dustless kitty litter to put in a bag but I'm not sure how well it will work.

Use a real dehumidifier. Powered. U can find compact units for about $20. My cellaring freezers stay very dry.

IMG_6544.JPG
IMG_6545.JPG

I've been on and off curious about those Peltier-driven powered units. When I've looked at specs they have a low-end operational cutoff that varies from 40°F on up (59°F seems to be a popular "bottom") so maybe not useful in a kegerator or keezer?

Also...whatever energy these things consume all ends up inside the chamber. Even the smallest versions use 20-30 watts. I'd expect that'd increase the compressor cycling in a kegerator or keezer...

Cheers!

Can’t speak to the power source. Didn’t dissect them. They do keep my storage freezers nice and dry. One stores lagers at 40’ and one cellars ales at 60’ both with inkbirds

Might a fan in the freezer improve the effectiveness of the DampRid? (Asking for a friend. [emoji6] )

I used a rechargeable desiccant (evaded unit that could be plugged in to dry the desiccant) when dropping to low temps (layering, carbonation) and a small powered dehumidifier that sat on the hump for ale fermentation temps.

Moving air around will help with many things. Even temps and moisture issues I think as well. The units I’m using have fans. Moisture issues are nonexistent for me

Definitely, air movers are your friends, especially in a keezer, which only knows how to make "sub-zero air" when the compressor is running.

Beyond that, I use a pair of Eva-dry E500s with 40mm fans velcroed to the non-indicator sides. They'll suck up a max of 5 ounces of water - not insubstantial - before needing to be removed and plugged in for an overnight dry cycle. So I have two pairs and cycle between them...

Cheers!

Actually when running it down to 40 for lagering, any moisture the humidifier doesn’t get is frozen to the sides and not much of a concern. 40 is the keg temp, not the freezer temp. Probe stuck to side of keg. I don’t think any mold is gonna grow on ice.

Back