Huge Yeast Cake - Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakersbrew

Reaction score
I just transferred my Honey Ginger Lager into secondary after two weeks in primary at 58 degrees. I was surprised to find a huge yeast cake, nearly 1 inch to 1 inch 1/2 thick. Is this normal? This is only my second batch so I dont know what to expect.

I've had a number of them that thick............. honey ginger lager sounds...well....tasty :)

I was surprised to find a huge yeast cake, nearly 1 inch to 1 inch 1/2 thick. Is this normal? .

Thats always what I get using nottingham yeast,, except last night.

last night when moving to keg i was surprised to see that there was very little cake. And this batch had probably one of the better (more violent and longer) ferments i ever had. tasted good anyway though.

I get a ton of coldbreak into my fermenters and I always have at least an inch of trub at the bottom of the primary.

That cake is a gift! Save it in a bomber with a cap in your fridge and use it to start the next batch...

Just remember to label your bottles or you'll get surprise beer.

Back