Huge kegging issue!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CollinsBrew

Reaction score
Hey everybody!! It's been awhile since I last posted.

I had a major fiasco this weekend when I tried to pull my Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone from the tap. I pulled and nothing came out??? Everything was pressurized correctly and I was getting good flow out of my other kegs. The only thing I could think of was that the hops from the dryhopping had settled to the bottom and were clogging up the dip tube. I dryhopped in the secondary and transferred to the keg. I knew some of the hops would get in the keg but I didn't think there would be enough to clog it up....if that's what happened.

Me, being the impatient arse that I am, decided to just transfer into another keg right away. The beer was already carbed so I knew there would be foam but I wanted to drink my beer so I did it anyway. I was only able to get half of the beer transferred due to the foam. Now I have two kegs that are half full.

Should I let the one that is clogged go flat and then transfer it to the carbed keg and let it finish carbing up?? Is there a better way to go about doin this? I'm not worried about the beer going bad since it is all in the kegerator staying nice and cold.

Why didn't you just pull the dipstick and unclog it? Also, since you got so much foam, I'm assuming you poured? A gentle siphon would have probably been a better idea.

I'd think I'd drink the foamy one quickly and clear the tube on the other one and get some C02 on it.

I actually siphoned with an autosiphon and still got all of the foam. You know, I have assembled and disassembled those kegs a few times and didn't even think to unscrew the post and pull the tube....SUCK! I should have known there was a much easier solution to this stupid problem.

Professor Frink said:
You probably also could have hooked up the CO2 to the diptube post and just blown the hops out of the diptube.

they are diffrent sizes, one is bigger than the other to keep them from getting mixed up

blefferd said:
they are diffrent sizes, one is bigger than the other to keep them from getting mixed up

The posts on the kegs are different sizes, but all of my kegs have the same size tubing coming off of them, so one could just switch the tubes.

The clog is probably not in the diptube, it is probably at the poppet valve as it is the most conctricted passage the beer must travel through.

Back