Html ???????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKchill

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, because I know how to use an Excel spreadsheet and create a MS Publisher document, I'm somehow the most computer savvy dude in my office. I was just messing around with each of the programs while I had nothing else to do, and I found some cool things that these old farts didn't know. But now, I'm going to be in charge of maintaining the company's website. I'M ****ED! I want to make my company a MySpace or Facebook page, but they want more than that. Anybody have any good reading besides "HTML For Dummies"?

Microsoft Expression Web isn't too bad for a WYSIWYG HTML editor but you should still get some rudimentary HTML knowledge.

It's not really all that hard and it gives you one more skill set in today's economy. That never hurts.

Do you want simple html coding? If so, the Webmonkey isn't bad as a referrence guide and cheat sheet.

If they're willing to buy you software. Dreamweaver is probably the best. Has the cleanest code and allows you to toggle between wysiwyg and code.

Buy the "HeadStart" HTML book. Those HeadStart books are perfect for the beginner and help explain everything is the simplest terms possible.

So, because I know how to use an Excel spreadsheet and create a MS Publisher document, I'm somehow the most computer savvy dude in my office. I was just messing around with each of the programs while I had nothing else to do, and I found some cool things that these old farts didn't know. But now, I'm going to be in charge of maintaining the company's website. I'M ****ED! I want to make my company a MySpace or Facebook page, but they want more than that. Anybody have any good reading besides "HTML For Dummies"?

HTML 4.01 Specification

You're mean schneemann! :D

ScannersExplodingHead.gif

Most websites these days run javascript and flash in addition to HTML. The days of simple pages on the web are gone.

I still pine for gopher running under the C shell on SunOS 4.1. Whatda mean you didn't use teh internetz in 1993? And if you get the pun in that first sentence, you are pegged as a TRUE nerd...

Most websites these days run javascript and flash in addition to HTML. The days of simple pages on the web are gone.

"Most websites". Do you have data to support this claim (esp. re: Flash)?

Let's keep something in mind here: JavaScript, when it is used, is used to modify (add, edit, remove) items on the screen - those items are HTML. So, for instance if JavaScript was used to "show" or "hide" a portion on the screen, it would be modifying the HTML.

Even in the case of AJAX or DOM scripting, the client-side scripting is being used to write HTML markup to the page.

So don't go discounting HTML. Yeah, a web developer needs to know a lot more than HTML these days, but site quality, cross-platform compatibility, SEO, usability, and accessibility are all tied into HTML markup quality.

I still pine for gopher running under the C shell on SunOS 4.1. Whatda mean you didn't use teh internetz in 1993? And if you get the pun in that first sentence, you are pegged as a TRUE nerd...

You couldn't work "elm" into it?

Pine was for people that couldn't remember commands. :p

Back