HOWTO - Make a BrewPi Fermentation Controller For Cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soooo . . What options does that leave me? Should I try and start over to see if it is an installation issue? Is there a way to "fix" the issue Elkoe mentioned? Give up and get 2 arduino leonardo's instead?

You could, technically copy the standard list in pinlist.py and change the name to mega 2560. I'm not at home right now so I don't have it right in front of me.

Save a copy of the original. What could it hurt. You'll have to reprogram the arduino once your finished and it wouldn't hurt to restart the pi first.

I see you mentioned the "pi". I don't know that it matters but I am using an old pc running debian wheezy and not a Raspberry Pi.

I have read a little about the pins and at the risk of sounding terribly uniformed and out of line I will ask another question. Is it as simple as changing it from leonardo to mega 2560 or is there some other work that needs done because the pins are different between the 2 devices? Regardless I am willing to try anything at this point what am I out a little more time and that is minimal compared to where I have come from. I unfortunately will need a little more instruction to accomplish the tasks listed. Either that or point me where I can learn.

I feel like a huge leach and time suck at this point as 2 people have made a .hex file for me, 3 people have helped me get things set up and now Elkoe is chiming in to try and help. I am very appreciative of all your help and support and am terribly sorry that I require all of it. Thanks again for helping out.

I'd use the standard pinset as my jumping board. That's what the uno uses. You might want to make sure you copy over a new one since changing what is there could negatively affect the outcome, maybe. I know when I changed my pins around before it worked for moving the door pin from 4-2 but the actuator that I replaced the door pin with didn't quite work right. And I couldn't physically change anything over to use as the door sensor but whatever was defined in that script and when I asked elco about it he said it was a bug. Which is why I thought you might be having a similar issue.

I am going to do another install tomorrow night on a new pre-loaded 32GB SD card, since I cannot figure out where I messed up my install on my 8GB load. I am going to follow the wbarber69 load process (I will only do 2 BrewPi loads (left & right) - Arduino UNOs) to one RPi and would like to know if I can do the whole process with WIFI, no NIC as the perm. location has no NIC capability. I am using the WIFI adapter below:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FADTN14/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Edit: Quick question as I am installing on a pre-loaded SD card do I follow the wbarber69 instructions exclusively and not do anything off of the BrewPi manual instructions? I would assume this is true as I think the BrewPi manual instructions are for a blank SD card. Just a sanity check.....
Thanks
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
wbarber69, I am still too lacking in skill and in knowledge to apply the information that you have provided. I will require a little more education. A starting point would really help. Sorry again for my lack of education on the subject.

wbarber69, I am still too lacking in skill and in knowledge to apply the information that you have provided. I will require a little more education. A starting point would really help. Sorry again for my lack of education on the subject.

Go into /home/brewpi/ and open up pinList.py you'll see where the default actuator pins are listed. It's about 15-20 lines of code. There is a listing for Leonardo and standard (uno). And there are 2 for each. One for revA and one for revC. You can tell them apart because revA uses A5 for onewire and revC uses A5 for act4. You want revC. Copy the entire list starting with the line where it says standard on it and then past it below that only rename it Mega 2560. Make a copy before you do. If it doesn't work then you may need to start over completely.

I am going to do another install tomorrow night on a new pre-loaded 32GB SD card, since I cannot figure out where I messed up my install on my 8GB load. I am going to follow the wbarber69 load process (I will only do 2 BrewPi loads (left & right) - Arduino UNOs) to one RPi and would like to know if I can do the whole process with WIFI, no NIC as the perm. location has no NIC capability. I am using the WIFI adapter below:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FADTN14/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Edit: Quick question as I am installing on a pre-loaded SD card do I follow the wbarber69 instructions exclusively and not do anything off of the BrewPi manual instructions? I would assume this is true as I think the BrewPi manual instructions are for a blank SD card. Just a sanity check.....
Thanks
Mike

Pretty much follow the setup that day_tripper laid out for me. You might want to go to the online docs and start from the 1.0 section and follow along until you get to where it says to git pull the install script. There are some dependencies you need to make sure you have installed first. Then once you get to where you would start the manual instructions switch back over to here. Day_trippers walk through incorporates everything that is listed on the online docs plus a few changes and permission settings that aren't online yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my issue of not being able to install the software to the Uno. I was selecting the ATMega328 based option, instead of the Uno option. I honestly didn't even see the Uno option, and the product description at Amazon had ATMega328 in it, but I am still a moron.

One more question - when I installed the BrewPi software on the Pi, it asked me if I wanted to enable WiFi keep alive (or something like that). I answered no, because I was planning on using ethernet. I might switch back to WiFi. How can I enable that option? Or do I need to reinstall?

Pretty much follow the setup that day_tripper laid out for me. You might want to go to the online docs and start from the 1.0 section and follow along until you get to where it says to git pull the install script. There are some dependencies you need to make sure you have installed first. Then once you get to where you would start the manual instructions switch back over to here. Day_trippers walk through incorporates everything that is listed on the online docs plus a few changes and permission settings that aren't online yet.

Thank you for your time and support. I am really looking forward to having this system up and running! I am already planning my next two batches.:mug:

Thank you for your time and support. I am really looking forward to having this system up and running! I am already planning my next two batches.:mug:

Honestly though it does help to go ahead and build just a single uno and run everything like it's supposed to be done. That way you get a feel for how everything should look and where everything should go. Then you can tackle the manual install. Because if you miss one step or forget one apt-get install command, then nothing works.

I got my issue of not being able to install the software to the Uno. I was selecting the ATMega328 based option, instead of the Uno option. I honestly didn't even see the Uno option, and the product description at Amazon had ATMega328 in it, but I am still a moron.

One more question - when I installed the BrewPi software on the Pi, it asked me if I wanted to enable WiFi keep alive (or something like that). I answered no, because I was planning on using ethernet. I might switch back to WiFi. How can I enable that option? Or do I need to reinstall?

Like so many before have found out. Wifi is a pita. If you really need wifi. I'd go with an Ethernet wifi dongle instead of USB. Because they are aelf powered, they act like an Ethernet connection and it doesn't drain all the power from the pi the further away from your router you get. Or do like fuzze and use power line adapters.most of the issues that people have with brewpi start with "my wifi…"

Honestly though it does help to go ahead and build just a single uno and run everything like it's supposed to be done. That way you get a feel for how everything should look and where everything should go. Then you can tackle the manual install. Because if you miss one step or forget one apt-get install command, then nothing works.

Sorry another follow up. The following should be executed as stated and not go into one of the directories of the two BrewPis?

sudo apt-get install git-core

Thanks again.

Yes just like you have it. That installs git that allows you to pull everything from GitHub same goes for arduino-core, all the python dependencies, arduino-core etc. you don't start setting brewpi directories until you have all the dependencies installed.

Yes just like you have it. That installs git that allows you to pull everything from GitHub same goes for arduino-core, all the python dependencies, arduino-core etc. you don't start setting brewpi directories until you have all the dependencies installed.

Outstanding! I am ready to rock and roll!:ban::mug::mug::ban:

wbarber69

I was able to make those changes to the file, restarted the pc, and reinstalled the .hex. Ended up with the same results. Any other ideas?

What do we think is borked that starting over will fix? Should I try just 1 Arduino just to see if it will work?

How about you try using the install script first to see that you can get this thing working with 1 before you jump down the multiple instances rabbit hole.

Take this for what it's worth...

The problem of ranging far afield with the platform configuration (peecee, unsupported Arduino, etc) is you're on an island. And if you're not equipped, you're going to die on that island.

I still suspect the hex file is still the crux of the issue here, because what I saw in those screen caps can't be accounted by any normal fat-fingered installation, imo.

Spring for an UNO. If you order it right now I bet you'll get it by Friday. Then that piece of the equation will be intrinsically solved and you can deal with less esoteric issues...

Cheers!

I wonder how well the adafruit trinket pro would work with some ftdi cables…

[...]One more question - when I installed the BrewPi software on the Pi, it asked me if I wanted to enable WiFi keep alive (or something like that). I answered no, because I was planning on using ethernet. I might switch back to WiFi. How can I enable that option? Or do I need to reinstall?

fwiw, a few people have reported that the "Wifi Keep-Alive" script actually caused them problems. Not having ever enabled that option I can't testify one way or the other as to how well it works, nor can I speculate as to why folks were having problems with it.

I fired up my first RPi last winter, and the system running my keezer and reporting to the network universe via WiFi has done so without a single burp since back in April - sans any keep-alive scripts...

Cheers!

The long saga re: multiple Unos running BrewPi and sharing a hub with "something other than an Uno" continues. The new quad hubs also fail in that configuration, but using a second quad hub for a wifi dongle and a mini-kb/mouse dongle on the second RPi root port has been working perfectly for a week now.

These quad hubs are so cheap I wouldn't have a problem throwing a pair of them into the mix for an actual project if need be...

Cheers!

That's great. Too bad you had to go to such extremes. Now I'm glad I got into pi's when I did. About 3 weeks after the b+ launch. Fwiw I recommend anyone getting into this, don't fret over 4 dollars and go for the b+.

I hooked up a third temp probe to measure room temp. The first time I refreshed the devices it's value showed up in the device list but it switched to null and now won't register.
I reprogrammed the arduino hex but no luck.
I looked at the log and saw this entry:

Restoring device: {"a": "288344D0B6F97413", "c": 1, "b": 1, "d": 0, "f": 6, "i": 2, "h": 2, "j": 0.0, "p": 18, "t": 1}
WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 18, address 288344D0B6F97413

What does "Temperature sensor disconnected pin 18" mean?

Screenshot from 2014-09-24 22:08:17.png

[...]
I looked at the log and saw this entry:

Restoring device: {"a": "288344D0B6F97413", "c": 1, "b": 1, "d": 0, "f": 6, "i": 2, "h": 2, "j": 0.0, "p": 18, "t": 1}
WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 18, address 288344D0B6F97413

What does "Temperature sensor disconnected pin 18" mean?

I have no idea. The One-Wire data line connects to "AD4" which is pin 27 on the ATmega328-AU. Maybe it's a reference to the official BrewPi shield connectivity.

In any case, the message is telling you that probe wandered off. Either the connections are dodgy or the probe is...

Cheers!

That's great. Too bad you had to go to such extremes. Now I'm glad I got into pi's when I did. About 3 weeks after the b+ launch. Fwiw I recommend anyone getting into this, don't fret over 4 dollars and go for the b+.

I agree, had the B+ been around last winter I'd have gone with those for a host of reasons. Next one will definitely be a B+ (unless a "C" comes out first ;))

Cheers!

fwiw, a few people have reported that the "Wifi Keep-Alive" script actually caused them problems. Not having ever enabled that option I can't testify one way or the other as to how well it works, nor can I speculate as to why folks were having problems with it.

I fired up my first RPi last winter, and the system running my keezer and reporting to the network universe via WiFi has done so without a single burp since back in April - sans any keep-alive scripts...

Cheers!

Interesting. Thanks for the info! My WiFi chip should be here today, so I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Good morning!

I recently got this ordeal setup pretty nicely. I'm happy with it - I just want to add some more insulation to the fridge and add a small PC fan in there.

Anyhow, being fully aware of the security concerns, I did want to open my Brewpi to the web, at least for a while, to keep an eye on it while testing it out with a carboy of water. If anybody is curious, PM me and I'll shoot ya the web address.

I had an issue with the public.php page not actually 'doing anything'. It would draw a blank frame with nothing inside of it. I have no experience with .php personally, but after comparing the files and doing some digging... I found the issue. You may want to correct the post on page 9 if possible - I was pointed there a few times.

Anyhow, the scripts are a bit 'outdated' for the current brewpi installs. I simply overwrote this section with the current one from index.php:
<!-- Load scripts after the body, so they don't block rendering of the page -->
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/jquery-1.9.1.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/jquery-ui-1.10.3.custom.min.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="js/jquery-ui-timepicker-addon.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.google.com/jsapi"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/spin.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/dygraph-combined.js"></script>

Cheers!

Yay! finally got everything all wired up and mounted properly in the project box. Now to get to brewing so I can make some good use of this awesome project. Thanks to everyone who put all the time and effort into this to make it an easy step by step process.

Running the arduino from a computer through the usb cable.WP_20140925_003.jpg

Mounted the temp probes with cat5 cables using a wall plate for quick disconnect purposes.
WP_20140925_004.jpg

Used cable/zip ties to mount the arduino and relays as well as the terminal blocks.
WP_20140925_005.jpg

Brewswell. Neat job. Like the way you put the probes into the terminal block. When you get it running. Let us know the heater size and type and what Kp Ki Kd settings you are using. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

wbarber69, thanks for the help and advice. I got my install issues solved by getting a new 16GB SD and did a full build install and the updates had no issues. Interesting item is that a SD build done on Ubuntu 14.4 did not work but the one done on Windoze worked fine, same chip. Going to work my WIFI issue tonight, but went ahead and ordered the Zytel units just in case. Brew day is coming! Also updating to Sanke 5 gallon kegs as I am tired of leak hunting with my ball lock corni's.

I would remove the .htaccess stuff and get your pages accessible through your dyndns access first. Then you can play with .htaccess and know you're not fighting multiple problems...

Cheers!

FWIW, I had problems with .htaccess stuff using Apache. I stopped Apache, installed nginx on the RPi and then setup .htaccess...then removed Apache. Works great now.

Brewswell. Neat job. Like the way you put the probes into the terminal block. When you get it running. Let us know the heater size and type and what Kp Ki Kd settings you are using. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Gezza,

I currently have it running a test beer profile to see how everything runs with the temp changes up and down. So far I'm loving this thing as it gives me a whole lot more information and control than my old STC 1000. I only have a 7cu ft. freezer that I use for my ferm chamber so I was going to go with the lasko personal heater that has been recommended on here. Currently all my settings are just running the default.

Thanks for helping out with this.

Perhaps it's the length of my testing cable but now I'm having issues with my temp probes connecting and disconnecting every second…

Gotta shorten the lead and see what comes of it.

Just curious, how long are your leads for your one wire temp probes?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

OK finally gave up on WIFI after I got a new 16GB SD programmed and ran a NIC line through the attic, 100 feet, and can log in with my Firefox browser to both units and can SSH into the RPI. I cannot get the scripts to run from the browser yet but feel I have made major progress.
I also tried the Zytel power line network units with no success, it was due to how my house is divided between the two 120VAC power feed lines and the units need to be both on the same phase/line otherwise they are isolated and cannot communicate.
I do need to know how to download the hex file to my windows 8.1 tablet machine as when I click on the link in the manual install instructions I get the hex listing shown in my browser (UNO Rev. C) and do not believe a cut and paste will work to save this kind of file.
Thanks in advance
Mike

Right click the file and save as

Got it, first attempt said it could not record to stderr.txt, no file existed so I used nano to create one and tried to load again. No updates in window while header said Programming, keep and eye on the output below to see progress, stayed blank.
Hmm, I guess I will start with checking the ls /dev/ttyACM* sequence then double check all the .cfg files for correct addresses. I did update my fixPermissions.sh for the web path (both left and right) and run them.
I have other problems that may be related as I cannot get either left or right to start scripts from the web page, but the sudo /etc/init.d/cron restart gives me no errors.
Ah well back to head banging, midnight and I get up at 5:30.....

My brain is offically mush, its 1 AM I tried a couple of items then did the devic configuration and got the following response:
"Error while receiving device configuration: SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data."
Surrendering and going to bed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back