Howto for Bittering Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLBrewer

Reaction score
So I've decided to start branching out a little bit and want to hack one of the Brewhouse Kits that I use. They're the liquid wort kits, you just add 8L of water and sprinkle yeast - done! They have a Red Ale that I think could us some bittering hops. From my bit of research I have figured that inorder to use hops for bittering they have to be boiled with some sort of 'wort'.

What would be the best way to go about this for my kit? Would I boil so many litres of the wort (adding a bit of water to compensate for evaporation)? Can you just boil some malt extract of some type? Or should I boil some barley flakes to add the hops (I've seen this method for another Brewhouse kit hack to make an Irish Stout).

Any help from an expert would be great!

Cheers!

You could boil 8L of water, put an amount X of DME and then use the hops for bittering or other use. You will need a full 60 minutes boil.

Boil 204 grams of extra light DME with your hops in 8 litres of water for a 60 minutes, cool and mix in your LME. This should give you about a 1.010 wort for hop utilization.

Instead of estimating boil off, unless you have this calculated, top off to get your 8 litres in the fermentor.

Back