How to work a siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmc-ferg

Reaction score
I don't understand how this works. It's blowing my mind. I have a 3/4 tube but I can't figure out how to use it

I suggest getting a tool called an "auto-siphon". They are available at the LHBS for less than $20 in most areas. Any other method of siphoning (like using your mouth to "suck-start" the siphon) greatly increases the chance of infection.

your kidding right?

lol in case your not. put the bucket/carboy you want to pull from on a counter or chair then put the receiving bucket carboy on the ground. there are many ways to start a siphon but the easiest way is with your mouth.. start sucking untell the beer starts coming down the hose then just let it fall into bucket.. try not to get to much spit on it, some people rinse there mouth with vodka first. your mouth is a bacteria playground!!! then by the power of gravity you will siphon the entire bucket into the lower one!

I understand that but I'm trying to avoid unwanted bacteria in my beer. Besides suck starting a siphon. What other ways are there?

You can take a water bottle with a sports top, sanitize it, and then squeeze/spray water up into the siphon tube until it reaches the beer. The beer will then flow out with the water in the tube

I have an auto-siphon, but I've seen people take a bottle of water (sealed, so relatively sanitary one would presume), fill the siphon hose with it, then let it start flowing... with the outward flow sorta taking place of your mouth's suction.

You can put some starsan in it, put thumb over lower end, remove thumb and dump the first little bet into a waste bucket, clamp lower end off and then place in into bottling bucket, let go clamp and siphon.

Thanks y'all for the input. I'll check out my labs for an auto siphon. If not I'll test yall's other ideas besides of course putting my mouth on the tube* I've always used a fermenter with a nozzle so this is new now with the siphon. Slowly working my way to the ag brewing.

Latest posts

Back