How to use yeast starter kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archer75

Reaction score
So I got this yeast starter kit from midwest and since it didn't come with directions i'm trying to figure it out. I've seen lots of guides and all seem to use different amounts of DME to water which has been confused. The kit also came with yeast nutrient and a 2L beaker.
I have a gas stove and from what I understand I can use that beaker directly on the stove?

I have a Wyeast smack pack and need to double the yeast count for a Belgium Wit i'm making.

Any suggestions?

100 grams of DME per 1000 milliliters of wort. Easy to remember, easy to calculate, and gives you a gravity of about 1.038, which happens to be ideal for starters. :)

And do I use the yeast nutrient stuff I have? Can I take this beaker directly from boiling to an ice bath without it cracking?

And do I use the yeast nutrient stuff I have? Can I take this beaker directly from boiling to an ice bath without it cracking?

Yes and yes. Just a "pinch" of nutrient though. I would also recommend some anti-foam agent, it will make your life much easier. Unless you enjoy cleaning burnt wort off of your stove top. :D

Back