How to tell the difference between stuck fermentation and a beer that finished high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffny25

Reaction score
I have a stout that has been fermenting for a week. It started life at 1.047 and is sitting now at 1.020. It's been that way for three days. I used coopers brewing yeast, no starter, all grain recipe with a mash temp of 155. It's been at 65 degrees. My question is, how do you tell if a beer is done, or stalled?

Looks like you used a different yeast which is probably the big issue. He says he built up a starter; did you at least re-hydrate your coopers yeast before dumping it into the fermenter? I could see that alone making the difference.

Also make sure you're aerating your wort well before closing the fermenter since yeast needs oxygen to grow and ferment.

I rehydrated the yeast, it was alive and kicking when it went in. There was plenty of aeration, I was very clumsy when i was pouring the wort into the bucket, lots of splashing. At this point would repitching do a whole lot?

I rehydrated the yeast, it was alive and kicking when it went in. There was plenty of aeration, I was very clumsy when i was pouring the wort into the bucket, lots of splashing. At this point would repitching do a whole lot?

Probably not, but can't hurt. If the problem was with your mash (i.e., temps), you could add enzymes (alpha amylase) - I've never done that but it might make your wort more fermentable.

If it holds steady for another couple of days should i just go ahead and bottle? Not too worried about a low ABV. The samples taste nice.

Back