how to tell if wine is degassed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siveloz

Reaction score
hey guys..

so how can i tell if my wine is degasse.... I usaly just stir for 5-6 minutes with mine ''wine spoon" but I always end up with wine thats not quit there... Now im tring to degaze by shaking the carboy.. anyone using this method?? I gave it a good shake 3 times now, and each time lost of gaz after I remove the ruber bung!

I degas my wine until there are no more bubbles on the surface. This usually takes anywhere from 2-4 minutes, sometimes longer. Just picked up on of those degassers you hook up to a cordless drill. Let me tell you, best $15 I spent on wine equipment. Still took a few minutes but I knew for sure it was done and minimal effort was required which is always a plus!

Don't shake the carboy, that will knock the co2 our of solution but it will also add some oxygen into the brew and oxygen is bad in wine :)

Don't shake the carboy, that will knock the co2 our of solution but it will also add some oxygen into the brew and oxygen is bad in wine :)

Really!! and I tought I was doing good!! lol well I guess back to the spoon for me!

When degassing you need to get out all of the co2 without exposing any oxygen, you don't want to oxidize your wine.

I'm not quite as careful degassing my wine. I always rack back to a primary and use a drill mounted stirrer. That, and bulk aging for 6-12 months reduces suspended gas to nothing.

Back