How to sour Witkap Pater clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyforger

Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I'm planning on devising a Witkap Pater singel clone for this summer. I think this beer is fantastic. But I'm not sure how to get the acid profile it has. Would you add some Brett at the beginning of fermentation? At bottling? Or would it be better to culture something from the dregs of a bottle of it? I'm not quite sure what's in the bottle of this beer, so I'm uncertain about that.

I've heard Brett cultures tend to take a long time before lending much character, so I'm doing my research now. Just adding lactic acid would take less time, naturally, but I'm not sure what the results of that would be like.

Also, other suggestions, particularly about yeast strains, would be welcome.

But I'm not sure how to get the acid profile it has. Would you add some Brett at the beginning of fermentation? At bottling? Or would it be better to culture something from the dregs of a bottle of it? I'm not quite sure what's in the bottle of this beer, so I'm uncertain about that.

Its not suspossed to have acid profile, in fact its often called sweet, may have been a bad bottle.

Whats in the dregs is yeast, no brett,lacto,ect.

Well, if so, that was one heck of a spoiled beer. One of the best summer beers I've ever had. Crisp, light, complex, refreshing.

I'll have to get another bottle to compare. In the meantime, I'd still love to hear people's thoughts about the respective advantages/disadvantages to different souring methods.

The Clone Brews book has a Witkap-pater recipe. I'm planning on buying the ingredients today to brew some for myself.

Back