How To Send In Water For Ward Labs Test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
As an FYI for those that want to but haven't, this is a public service announcement on just what and how to do it. Free Sampling Supplies and Free Shipping to them are explained.

Go to Ward Labs:
Ward Laboratories, Agricultural Testing, Consulting, Kearney, Nebraska

-click on 'Fee Schedule'

-click on 'Water Analysis'

-note W-5 (Household Mineral Test) $16.50 and W-6 (Household Complete Mineral Test) $26.50

Now go to 'About Us'

-click 'General Information'

>at the fourth heading down in blue 'Sample Supplies',
-click 'Sampling Supplies' link

>at second heading 'Water', enter number of bottles needed (number of tests)

>at heading 'Miscellaneous'

-enter '1' at 'Small Shipping Boxes (6x6x6)' (I put two bottles in one box with my bubble wrap)

-enter '1' at Shipping Labels (pre-paid USPS)

Follow directions on the bottle and from online, write on bottle(s) with a sharpie: the name of sample, and your name and address

pack in box and take to the post office.

Results can be shown online if requested, but snail mail gave me results within a week. >Options for results are at the Fifth heading in 'General Information',
-'Reporting Options':

"We have several options for receiving your results. All reports will be mailed by 1st class mail, unless instructed otherwise. Other options include:

Faxing Only
Mail and FAX
Online"

I got two Complete tests one for 'filtered cold', and the other was 'hot softened', just to know what I actually have for water at my house.
I got the iron levels too, for the extra 10 bucks....$53 bucks total, no charge for postage or supplies, and I called after I received the results and invoice, and paid via CC.

It need only cost you $16.50 for a test of your brewing water.

Hope this helps you in making the plunge.

If you don't feel like waiting for the supplies to come in, an Arrowhead (or other soft-plastic 1 pint bottle) just fits in the smallest Priority flat-rate USPS box. I had my results back 2 days after sending in the sample.

Good info, Henry.

Since my local water report is worthless, I'm sending in a sample for analysis. Building custom water intrigues me, and it's the next step in my brewing.

Mod Edit: OT comments

You're welcome Flyangler18; I try to provide helpful info for those that haven't made it to where I have yet.

When I saw that Bobby paid shipping, I suggested then I should do a 'how to' thread on this to get people over the 'hesitation' hurdle.

And since 'Brew Science' has become the common sub-forum for water profile queries, it seemed only right that I put it here.

Mod Edit: OT comments

Good info, thanks!

I have been to the site several times and I still never knew you could have them send you all the sampling and shipping supplies.

Yeah, it's there but finding it all is not easy.

I'm stupid; it helps me when somebody can say 'do this, don't do that'.:D

Thanks for your intervention, bradsul. :mug:

Wow, I didn't know they did free shipping or sent bottles and such! I've sent out water a few times now. Thanks!

I ordered mine following the great instructions...Now when I get my report I will need you smart guys to help me figure it out.

Pat

Henry,
Big thanks for the info. It is ALWAYS helpful to offer guidence - with so many people reading on this board, you can always count on helping at least one person.
I have been meaning to send my water off for testing for awhile. I had never seen the offered supplies. Even with your instructions It still took a couple of tries to find it (not reading carefully) - I'm a bit of a 'tard.

Thanks again
jason

My bottles came yesterday. Pretty quick turnaround. I'll send them out Monday morning and hopefully have some results by the end of next week. Yay!

I'm glad to see that having the instructions spelled out made it easier, and apparently allowed for those that wanted to but weren't sure how easy it was, to try this.

I sent my water samples out today. A few things...

-Ward did not send me a pre-paid USPS label, just a plain old address label. Was I supposed to pay for the label up front? I don't know.

-The bottles they sent me didn't really fit into the USPS Small Flat Rate Box all that well. I had two in there, but the bottle diameter is bigger than the thickness of the box, so no matter how many are in there it will prevent the box from closing properly. I don't think a third bottle would have fit at all. They still accepted it, but it's probably a YMMV situation. I wouldn't have been surprised if they wouldn't take it as it was. The woman at the desk wrapped it in tape because it was bulging out.

-When I brought the package to the desk she asked if it contained anything "hazardous, explosive or liquid?". I was a bad boy and said no, but apparently you aren't supposed to ship liquid via Priority mail. I can't find that stipulation on the USPS website, though.

That's my experience, anyway. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they come back with. I've been waiting for this for a while.

Just curious -
I recieved a regular shipping label as well and no box. I followed the instructions and checked all of the appropriate items. I am wondering if it has to do with being a first time customer? This isn't a complaint and I can't wait to get my results, I am just wondering if there is something else that needs to be indicated that I did not see, so that people can get the free shipping. I think I paid $6-7 at the usps for 2 day.
Jason

Jkravos, I don't know what bottles you got, but there should have been room in the little box for several. My bottles were 6-8 oz., and kinda short.

The label I got didn't say it was for free USPS shipping, but I took it in and the counter guy had no issues with me using it and not charging me. It is the policy of Ward Labs to pay for it, so I'm guessing every box that comes in is paid for at time of delivery. I do not know how that part works.

jwright, If you asked for a small box they should have sent it, my bottles and label came inside mine. The free shipping is not 2 day or anything special, but you need not have paid for it.

It seems to have worked correctly for others....:confused:

Ok...... so maybe it was a simple mistake on one of our parts (mine or Ward's). I'll make sure to get the prepaid label next time. I certainly didn't mind paying for the S/H - I still think it is a good deal. I am glad to hear that they really do include the s/h with the cost - it makes it even more of a bargin. It is kind of unusual to find a company that will offer a service, provide the results to a general consumer and not require payment upfront.
Now If I can just get my results, I'll have something much better to do than continuously checking HBT.
Thanks again Henry,
jason

Ok...... so maybe it was a simple mistake on one of our parts (mine or Ward's). I'll make sure to get the prepaid label next time. I certainly didn't mind paying for the S/H - I still think it is a good deal. I am glad to hear that they really do include the s/h with the cost - it makes it even more of a bargin. It is kind of unusual to find a company that will offer a service, provide the results to a general consumer and not require payment upfront.
Now If I can just get my results, I'll have something much better to do than continuously checking HBT.
Thanks again Henry,
jason

Got my bottles but they sent me regular labels, not prepaid.

Yeah, none of us continually comes back to HBT. :D

As I said, mine didn't say it was prepaid but the USPS (post office) took it and sent it, no problem.

Sweet, last time I supplied my own bottle and box, it will be much easier to get the stuff and send it back with no shipping. I'll be doing another test when I can plumb a line straight from my inlet without going through the water softener bypass valve and the regular pipes when I switch over to brewing vs. regular household use.

My two bottles came in a white envelope, with a shipping label, no return box.

No biggy, it seems to vary though. I checked and my shipping order and confirmation e-mail all showed that I did order the box. I plan on sending a straight from the tap sample and one tricked through my carbon filter, this will give me a base line and also a 50% sample of what I brew with.

Great info, Thank You for sharing it. I have one question. In the OP it says that you also got the iron test. Did they do the iron test form the same bottle that they did the W6 tests form? I looks like that is what you are saying but I want to be sure that they can do the W6 + the iron test(s) from the same sample bottle before I order my sampling supplies. Thanks for the help!

I think I blew it on shipping. The local shipping store charged me $14 to ship from CA to NE.

Running out of time I had no choice but to go for it or wait for a week or more.

I will be sending for the envelope and sample tubs next time!

Thanks for the info, I sent mine in water bottles and paid USPS $10 to ship. So this will save me a few $

Looks like there are a few lables:

Shipping Labels
Shipping Labels (pre-paid USPS)
Shipping Labels (pre-paid UPS ARS)

My two bottles came in a white envelope, with a shipping label, no return box.

No biggy, it seems to vary though. I checked and my shipping order and confirmation e-mail all showed that I did order the box.

Same here. I just emailed them to get the box. I am not under a time constraint so I will just wait for the proper supplies.

Back