How to sanitize furit and when to add it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish13

Reaction score
I would like to use some Asian Pears in an ale, but I’m not sure how to sanitize them or when to add them in?

Do I add the pears in the last 10 to 15 minutes of the boil (peeled and cut) or should I ferment the ale in my primary first then add the pears to a secondary to ferment after I re-rack??

Thanks in advance….

I do strawberry, pineapple and palmigranite and never sanitize them. I just make sure the fruit is washed well and add about 3 days after the main fermentation is complete. never had a bad batch yet!

I like to add fruit after primary fermentation. If added during the boil, you can lose the delicate fruit flavor (especially pear, which you probably would never be able to taste no matter what you do). If added after the boil, during the primary fermentation, the CO2 off gassing will strip away the flavors as well. So, to increase your chances of infusing pear flavor, start with a very very light in flavor beer, ferment it, transfer to secondary and add your fruit, sanitize it first by camden tablet (think wine making), pasturize (150 degree hot bath), or just toss it in (alcohol is sterilizer, just drink it quickly). If you plan on on wanting to keep the beer around for awhile, consider aseptic fruit products (sterile juices, jams or pie filling).

I like to add fruit after primary fermentation. If added during the boil, you can lose the delicate fruit flavor (especially pear, which you probably would never be able to taste no matter what you do). If added after the boil, during the primary fermentation, the CO2 off gassing will strip away the flavors as well. So, to increase your chances of infusing pear flavor, start with a very very light in flavor beer, ferment it, transfer to secondary and add your fruit, sanitize it first by camden tablet (think wine making), pasturize (150 degree hot bath), or just toss it in (alcohol is sterilizer, just drink it quickly). If you plan on on wanting to keep the beer around for awhile, consider aseptic fruit products (sterile juices, jams or pie filling).

Good point…. on losing the flavor. Asian pears aren’t super potent in to begin with. However, I do plan on using real pears as I have trees in the backyard and a lot of good pears left over (too many to eat). Maybe I’ll use some of my own pears plus some juices or pie filling to boost the taste.

Also, I do plan on brewing 5gls.of a light ale for my first fruit beer. What do you think would be the right amount of fruit to use (5 – 6lbs.)?

Adding the fruit after fermentation is almost over decreases your chance of infection. You can pasteurize the fruit to reduce that risk even more but you risk activating the pectin in the fruit and may alter the flavor. I usually add fruit as I would dry hop. Keep in mind that the yeast is going to convert all that sugar into alcohol and it will lighten your beer. I would never add a jam to my beer as this is loaded with additional sugars and pectin. Juice may be fine depending on if it has additional sugars added to it. Those sugars will contribute nothing to your beer other than alcohol. Also, you could add fruit pits to the boil for additional flavors.

No idea on how much, other than to keep it below 10% of your fermentables, other wise the beer gets too dry and will start to enter the cider realm.

Latest posts

Back