how to rewarm after crashing/fining for chill haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tunoffun

Reaction score
I presently have a batch cold-conditioning in secondaries (carboys). When I transferred to the secondaries a few days ago, I added a properly-prepared gelatin solution for use in fining. This was done at fermentation temp (65). I then immediately turned the temp down to 34. This was all done in an effort to precipitate out chill haze. And from what I can tell, it appears to be working quite well, though in carboys it's still hard to tell.

My question is this: Assuming the gelatin does bind to the protiens responsible for chill haze at a temperature necessary for them to come out of solution, will they remain 'bound' once the temperature is increased back up to 65?

Once bound they will precipitate out of the wort. Perhaps what you are thinking about is coagulation of the proteins. At colder temperatures a great amount of proteins coagulate and become visible to the naked eye. These proteins should precipitate out of the wort naturally after extended cold conditioning.

However, after fining what precipitates out with the gelatin will remain a globules in the bottom of the vessel. They can be roused, however, they will maintain their weight and should find their way back to the bottom of the bottle or vessel. If they get into the glass they are relatively unattractive floating around.

Latest posts

Back