How to reuse twist off bottles ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twintrades

Reaction score
Well around here I just can't find any place that has the reg pop off tops. I'm not working so buying bottles to use is outta the question. The local bars don't care if I dig through there bottles. So couple questions.

To use a twist off bottle all I have to do would be to get some plain caps. And a capper I'll borrow. Nothing else right ?? The capper will cap it and the bottles design will allow he cap to twist off ?

Second what would be the best namebrand to use ? Do any have thicker necks an others ? Or are thy all pretty universal ?

If you can't tell I'm brandspanking new to all this ! Feel free to talk in imple terms lol. Also these bottles will be for alfpinwien and skeeter pee. I'm not making beer till I find out what I like. So far I'm not big on bend names never had a hombrew yet.

My experience with trying to cap twist offs is sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't so I don't even try anymore because if they don't seal up well you're screwed(no pun intended) Just try to find the non screw top bottles or ask your drinking buddy friends to start saving their bottles for you

Good question. In my experiences, I never had any luck with them I'm curious to see what others have to say about this topic. I basically gathered all my empty twist offs, brought them back to the store in exchange for cap-off bottles. The store clerk was happy to provide them to me.

From the HBT Wiki said:
Crown caps may be used on both twist-top and non-twist-top bottles. If capping twist-off bottles it is imperative that you use a bench-style capper. Use of a butterfly capper may result in the bottles not sealing and carbonating, or the necks of the bottles breaking.

There seems to be a bit of debate on here about whether or not to use twist-offs; some people say they often create poor seals that leak co2/let in air and nasties while others say they've never had a problem. To be honest I've never used 'em and probably wouldn't take the chance but that's just my personal opinion.

Hopefully someone with more experience will weigh in.

You don't need a capper, I've used twist off Bud Light bottles and twist off caps
for years with no problems.
Yes!! The caps that come on bud light bottles can be reused once sanitized
with the twist off bottles and will seal just fine
and you don't need a capper just twist the cap on and twist it off.

I've never had any issues with them not sealing.

Tim

twintrades, I've been using 1L plastic soda bottles for my skeeter pee. You could also use the smaller bottles as well. I tried one experiment with a twist off Yeungling bottle that didn't work out for me. Good luck, Pete

I have reused my Blue Moon bottles for home brew with no problems. I think that if they don't leak after capping, they should be fine.

Just my .02

Latest posts

Back