How to reliably reuse Yeast Slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calmingapple

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've heard several times now that the sediment on the bottom of the carboy can be re-used in other wine making, cider making, etc, provided you give it a good environment to work with (yeast nutrients and what not).

Can anyone guide me step by step through this process? So after doing my rackings (I have two apple wines on the go right now) I would like to save the yeast at the bottom. I presume I can simply sanitize a glass jar with lid and place the yeast there until it is time to use it. Perhaps in a batch that is more forgiving and experimental (like Sima where alcohol content is lower)?

Thanks for your help!

I'd like to know too.

I've read other posts here on the subject (over on the brew side) -- even the ones with photos. I've saved the yeast slurry, but I only see 2 layers instead of 3, so I'm not sure what to use and what to throw away.

And on top of that, I'm not sure when/how I'm supposed to add the slurry to the new must.

I suppose I can just wing it, but it always comes down to this: yeast = $1.00 a packet vs. $20-$30 for the ingredients in my batch of wine. So I use new yeast. ;)

I've tried to reuse the yeast slurry on the bottom of a fermenter for a skeeter pee type wine a few years ago and it didn't go well, fermentation did not start in the new batch.
I have to agree with WinterWarrior, wine yeast is so inexpensive, I'm currently making several batches of wine, each several hundred lbs of fresh grapes, I couldn't imagine trying to use dead/tired yeast on these batches. Wine yeast is really finicky, it gets stressed easily, requiring yeast nutrients, and yeast hulls, it can produce H2s and VA, among other faults that are difficult to recover from it not detected early on and left untreated.
Don't get me wrong, I harvest yeast very often when brewing beer, I've made many great batches of beer using yeast that I've harvested and then made starters.
I'm sure that there are some who have reused yeast to make wine, personally, I wouldn't.

Not a wine maker (yet...except for honey wine!) but can you do what a lot of us do with beer: make a big starter, split it in half, store half away for the next batch, and grow the first half up to pitching size? This has all the advantages of reusing yeast slurry, with a lot fewer issues to deal with. The only thing it requires is advanced planning and preparation...

I've washed yeast (for beer) once for freezing. The conclusion I came to is that it would be better and easier to make a big starter and split part of it for using later than it is to wash yeast post fermentation.

I just saved the sediment from two different yeast strains were I made apple wine and had to rack. It's been settling nicely in glass jars but I see what you mean - I don't see a white layer (it's really only one thick brown layer). So I will leave it be for a week and see if more settles.

This is more of a fun experiment to try. I have a small mason jar with pure juice I wanted to test it on. I would not want to try this on anything more than a one gallon batch in the future. Nice to be able to reuse something, but yes I have no problem purchasing new yeast each time. Like I say it is for the Learning process first :) if I make something then nice surprise!

I'd like to know too.

I've read other posts here on the subject (over on the brew side) -- even the ones with photos. I've saved the yeast slurry, but I only see 2 layers instead of 3, so I'm not sure what to use and what to throw away.

And on top of that, I'm not sure when/how I'm supposed to add the slurry to the new must.

I suppose I can just wing it, but it always comes down to this: yeast = $1.00 a packet vs. $20-$30 for the ingredients in my batch of wine. So I use new yeast. ;)

Mind my asking how one grows a yeast slurry? Should I start by feeding it nutrients?

Thanks for the reply.

Not a wine maker (yet...except for honey wine!) but can you do what a lot of us do with beer: make a big starter, split it in half, store half away for the next batch, and grow the first half up to pitching size? This has all the advantages of reusing yeast slurry, with a lot fewer issues to deal with. The only thing it requires is advanced planning and preparation...

It probably would have helped if I explained what I wanted to use it in... so basically a small mason jar of (hopefully) Sima. I really just wanted a proof of concept. I agree that yeast is so inexpensive. But it is fun to continue a creative cycle of make something, save a little, start something new from it, etc.

I've tried to reuse the yeast slurry on the bottom of a fermenter for a skeeter pee type wine a few years ago and it didn't go well, fermentation did not start in the new batch.
I have to agree with WinterWarrior, wine yeast is so inexpensive, I'm currently making several batches of wine, each several hundred lbs of fresh grapes, I couldn't imagine trying to use dead/tired yeast on these batches. Wine yeast is really finicky, it gets stressed easily, requiring yeast nutrients, and yeast hulls, it can produce H2s and VA, among other faults that are difficult to recover from it not detected early on and left untreated.
Don't get me wrong, I harvest yeast very often when brewing beer, I've made many great batches of beer using yeast that I've harvested and then made starters.
I'm sure that there are some who have reused yeast to make wine, personally, I wouldn't.

Mind my asking how one grows a yeast slurry? Should I start by feeding it nutrients?

Thanks for the reply.

Feed it sugar, on a stir plate if possible, but if not then shake regularly to get the yeast into suspension. For beer, I do one of two things: make extra wort on my last batch and save it to feed yeast or make a starter with malt extract. For wine, you could probably just feed it juice with no preservatives...Anyhow as the yeast grows in population, pour off the wine and add more sugar (i.e. juice) until you have the desired slurry/cell count.

Cool okay I shall feed it sugar (in stages, I presume). Any tips on measurements? Since it's in a small jar I was thinking half a cup to start and see if it gets going? Also, is it a good idea to feed it yeast nutrient at this point?

Lastly, thanks for the top on the stir plate but I am sadly without one. Shaking will have to do.

Feed it sugar, on a stir plate if possible, but if not then shake regularly to get the yeast into suspension. For beer, I do one of two things: make extra wort on my last batch and save it to feed yeast or make a starter with malt extract. For wine, you could probably just feed it juice with no preservatives...Anyhow as the yeast grows in population, pour off the wine and add more sugar (i.e. juice) until you have the desired slurry/cell count.

If you are or know someone who is holding onto an old, dead computer for no good reason, you have most (or maybe all) the parts for building a stirplate. The only thing I had to buy for mine was the stir bar.

Just remember that reusing yeast slurry works great for beer, when the ABV is lower (like under 6%). Alcohol is poisonous to yeast, so by reusing wine lees, that yeast is already very stressed by the alcohol and good results would not be expected. Most wines are 12+% ABV- a very toxic environment to the yeast and that is wine yeast is not usually reused.

Cool okay I shall feed it sugar (in stages, I presume). Any tips on measurements? Since it's in a small jar I was thinking half a cup to start and see if it gets going? Also, is it a good idea to feed it yeast nutrient at this point?

Lastly, thanks for the top on the stir plate but I am sadly without one. Shaking will have to do.

Yes, feeding it yeast nutrients is a good practice. I usually start with about a half liter and work my way up to 2 liters...

Thanks for the help everyone.

I will give it a go and see if any activity occurs. I have yet to see any white sediment so I do wonder how much yeast is in there. I think I have too little of a slurry. I was thinking of racking my newest apple wine in 7 days and saving that yeast sediment with my other sediment already in a jar because they would be the exact same strain (Cotes de Blanc).

Just remember that reusing yeast slurry works great for beer, when the ABV is lower (like under 6%). Alcohol is poisonous to yeast, so by reusing wine lees, that yeast is already very stressed by the alcohol and good results would not be expected. Most wines are 12+% ABV- a very toxic environment to the yeast and that is wine yeast is not usually reused.

I agree with Yooper. Also, packets of dry wine yeast are so much cheaper than beer yeast and 5 gallons of wine/grape/etc. juice is so much more expensive than 5 gallons of wort. I'd rather spend the extra $1.20 to be safe.

This is interesting! Today I noticed quite a bit of activity in the glass jar. I poured a bit of sweetened apple juice in with the slurry and left it alone. I returned today to give it a stir and the result was strong fizzing!

I have NO idea what to do with this now :p

Any ideas?

Yes, feeding it yeast nutrients is a good practice. I usually start with about a half liter and work my way up to 2 liters...

Sorry I meant to attach a photo of the latest activity.

It would be fun to actually make something viable out of this - even if small.

slurry_success.JPG

Keep adding apple juice, it'll keep fermenting it until you kill the yeast via alcohol poisoning :p

Not really. Adding more of the same OG juice only makes more of the same strength alcohol.

On the other hand, if you added straight sugar, you would be correct.

Thanks guys. I didn't think this would amount to anything so it was cool to see activity.
I wish I had a nice airlock type lid for this jar now. Damn!

Stretch a balloon over the mouth of the jar. Poke a pin through the end. As CO2 is produced, it will fill the balloon; when the pressure gets too much, gas will escape though the pin hole.

Latest posts

Back